Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original 35s barrel shims

Original 35s barrel shims

Evening all,
    Does anyone know where I can source some barrel shims for an Original 35 s (super) ?
    I've looked at the usual and popular parts suppliers in the UK and also on the German suppliers website but they appear to be out of stock or obsolete.
    Any ideas if anything else will fit ? I don't have the old ones but the recess in the breech block looks too small for HW shims, plus I think one is dished to act like a spring .
    I could make some if I found the right thickness of shim but hoping I don't have to go down that road.
    Thanks in advance,
    Nick.
    Rust never sleeps !

Quote Originally Posted by El Garro View Post
    Evening all,
    Does anyone know where I can source some barrel shims for an Original 35 s (super) ?
    I've looked at the usual and popular parts suppliers in the UK and also on the German suppliers website but they appear to be out of stock or obsolete.
    Any ideas if anything else will fit ? I don't have the old ones but the recess in the breech block looks too small for HW shims, plus I think one is dished to act like a spring .
    I could make some if I found the right thickness of shim but hoping I don't have to go down that road.
    Thanks in advance,
    Nick.
    Hi Nick,

I have a 1972 pre safety catch HW35. I have just rebuilt the action and sourced my shims from Bagnall and Kirkwood (do Google search) they fit as they should. The first one slides in easily, however, and I assume this is due to pressure from the spring in the barrel release lever, the second one took a bit of gentle persuasion, so I would advise fitting the shim on the lever side first.

Hope this helps.

Mike

35s

Though I have a 35s I've not been inside it as the last time I tangled with the three ball trigger it near cooked my head.
    However, looking at the chambers website (as am sure you suggest you have also done) I note that the 35s barrel shim arrangements look identical (pretty much anyhow) to the Original 45 which as you know is a model of near enough the same vintage.
    So I would guess that if someone on the forum has a 45 in bits just now they could likely take dims and photos of the shims out of their 45. I suspect ultimately that you may well have to have a copy set made up.
    Good luck with the work. They are nice rifles.
    Dave

I have a mod 45 in bits,I'll take some pics,dimensions for you tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Though I have a 35s I've not been inside it as the last time I tangled with the three ball trigger it near cooked my head.
    However, looking at the chambers website (as am sure you suggest you have also done) I note that the 35s barrel shim arrangements look identical (pretty much anyhow) to the Original 45 which as you know is a model of near enough the same vintage.
    So I would guess that if someone on the forum has a 45 in bits just now they could likely take dims and photos of the shims out of their 45. I suspect ultimately that you may well have to have a copy set made up.
    Good luck with the work. They are nice rifles.
    Dave
    As above. The shims are definately sided and I'm almost certain they're identical to that in the 45. They've not been available as a complete set for some years so Wil95K's offer is good as you will need to a get set made up or something else adapted to suit.
    Maybe someone will have some lying around, or an old spares gun.

Morning. I have a box full of Diana/Original parts and a couple of donor 35's & 45's that are beyond economical repair. I will have a look at the weekend and let you know if I have the shims...think I also had some new ones off Sportswaffen Schneider or Ruag. Rgds C

Sorry for the late reply,totaly forgot a few pics that may help https://postimg.cc/XpN6QL2J https://postimg.cc/6ypFd334 https://postimg.cc/CB468Tp4 https://postimg.cc/jCZFdbXx https://postimg.cc/jCgMYhxC https://postimg.cc/yJHPyQPp the third pic of the dark shim is slightly concave,the 4th pic is much thinner and has a lip that fits on the breech block groove.hope that helps.
    Last edited by wil95k; 27-08-2021 at 09:28 PM.

Hi, thanks for the replies everyone, not had chance to log in until now sorry.
    I'll measure the recesses and pivot hole in the 35 tomorrow , got a 45 here too but will double check before I strip it to see if they're interchangeable.
    Will post update.
    Cheers.
    Rust never sleeps !

Busy week sorry, the 35 got pushed aside,
    Had a look tonight though, the recess in the breech block measures at 20mm outer and 10mm inner so will have a look at engineering supplies on the web, a guy suggested that earlier, hadn't thought of that tbh.
    I'd imagine the dished one could be made from spring steel sheet and a session with the blow torch and oil.
    HW shims were mentioned, there's a couple buried here, I'll dig them out and measure those too (if I don't find dims online ).
    Thank you for taking the time to measure and take pictures and to everyone who replied.
    Will post any good results I find.
    Last edited by El Garro; 02-09-2021 at 10:11 PM.
    Rust never sleeps !

Quote Originally Posted by El Garro View Post
    I'd imagine the dished one could be made from spring steel sheet and a session with the blow torch and oil.
    Would it be stupid to assume that the dished washer/shim would be available as an industrial spring/belleville washer?
    Too many airguns!

I found a few plain and belville but nothing thin enough yet. It looks like the common size for 10mm centre is 16mm outer . I've got a feeling the spring one fits in the recess and the plain could be 8mm centre to fit the axis bolt ?
    May get a few and see how it feels with those.
    Had a look on the German spares site and it lists the 45 shims as being the same as the 35 too.
    May send an email for more info.
    Will keep searching .
    Rust never sleeps !

I'd be surprised if they were much different from current Diana shims - just a thought
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    Take a look at item number 265291476759 on evil bay, they say the shims are for Hw's ( but there not like any Hw shim I've ever seen ) ) I'm pretty sure they are the shims your looking for, barring the sprung shim.
    They look more like Norica or Bam barrels shims than Diana or HW shims.
    Too many airguns!

Airsoft electric rifles use a lot of shimming to keep the engines tight, with paper thin shims available, check for sets with various sizes. Another option is to grind a close match. Superglue a couple on a piece of hardwood & use grinder or polishing wheel machine on it. bit of fiddling around but all in all easy & quick remedy for perfect shims.
    Collection: vintage air pistols & air rifles / vintage air gun accessories
    Facebook groups: vintage air guns 1. Webley, 2 BSA, 3. Haenel, 4. Weihrauch, 5. Diana

Morning. I have one of the shims you are looking for...it's the W073 shim on the Chambers spare parts diagram..it's new and you are welcome to it if you pm me your address. Rgds C