Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do collectors have any preference for 177 or 22 when purchasing?

Do collectors have any preference for 177 or 22 when purchasing?

My collection, I have just observed, is 25% 177 and 75% 22, which confirms a preference for 22.

I just wondered whether the majority of collectors have repeated this type of preference for 22 or whether the reverse is the case?

I have placed scopes on my 177s, because of their flatter trajectories over longer ranges. My older rifles, with open sights, are all in 22. I considered it would be rather more challenging at longer ranges to use 177s with open sights (although peep sights would be preferable in this situation if it came to it). For this reason, my older rifles which are without telescope rails, are in 22.

Often, when I am looking to collect a particular make and model, I am confronted with the question of whether I should seek to do so in 177 or 22. For the most part, my usage is for target shooting, at varying ranges. This means conditions should be still, to avoid windage considerations. Personally, I find the better all rounder to be the 22 but it is pleasing to obtain groupings at longer ranges with 177.

My collection now numbers 12 and I have no particular desire to add to it, not least because I try to use each in the collection during the course of a year - which I find quite a task. On the other hand, I then read something about a particular make and model here and wonder if I should buy one. For example, I like what I have read about several models of Diana, including the 48 and 52. Were I to buy, I then wonder if it should be in 177 or 22. Probably, it would be the latter, even although usage would for the most part be restricted to targets.

I am curious to know what other collectors think. Do they hold similar preferences or do they collect in 177 or, perhaps, in roughly equal proportions? When they seek to add a make and model to their collection, do they seek both calibres? I have excluded .25, which I have always considered too heavy for sub 12ft/lbs. I have also excluded .20, which appears never to have really taken off although it is arguably a happy medium between 22 and 177.

Rgds
    A

.177 is less wanted in magnum. But therefor much more rare. For instance, the Gamo Hunter Extreme SE I own in .177 as well.
    Shoots like nothing, but love it as collectable
    So caliber depends on the gun.
    ATB,
    yana

I have a number of match rifles which are of course .177, so that bore accounts for about 2/3 of my collection. Exclude the match rifles, and it's slightly more than 50-50. I admit to a slight preference for .177 but actually it comes down to what it is, the condition, price, and looks. I'm a sucker for a nice bit of wood. But I don't claim to be a purist collector, more an accumulator and I buy what appeals to me.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    If for bell target, 177 all the way. Otherwise, not bothered. My favourites are generally quarter bore, but I have a lovely 13mm with two rifling grooves.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

As an SSP man, most of the rifles I have picked up are .22, but that’s because more were sold at .22 (PH Dragon sporter/Air Logic Genesis we’re all almost exclusively.22).

I do try and collect .177 where possible as it is my preferred calibre, but it’s not a deal breaker. And generally I go for variety of rifle instead of a focus on calibre
    Slightly obsessed with Single Stroke Pneumatics
    Also making stocks over at Daviesbuilt gunstocks.

I have no particular preference for calibre.

My collection of Webley mk3's are 75% .22 but this is largely due to the fact that Webley manufactured may more in .22 than .177 (probably at least 80% .22). Similarly with the BSA counterpart the .22 Airsporter and .177 Club. There are many more .22 of this model in circulation than .177 and this is why the Club attracts a purchase premium.

Concerning other manufacturers, my larger (sporting-type) rifles are predominantly .22 and the smaller (junior-type) are almost exclusively .177 because, in most cases, they were only made in that smaller calibre. All my 10m target weapons are .177 of course but I do not regard those as part of the collection. The mid-range models - mostly break-barrel - are a mixture of both calibres but when buying them the calibre was not taken into consideration; I simply wanted that gun!

Aubrey

Never gave it a lot of thought but my Airsporter mk 2 ,webley osprey , BSF S70 , HW 80 Mk 1 and FWB mastersport are 177 the others are all 22 !! springers do tend to shoot better in the larger bore though in my opinion

I find in older Weihrauch rifles .177 seems to be the harder caliber to find so these will be more desirable as what ever will have the least in the future normally command the higher prices I find

Calibre.

For the discerning collectors among us all i would have thought .25 cal. would come near the top of the list.Obviously for the rarity of the piece and not its shooting ability.Most .25 that come on to the market for sale are gone in a flash, i wish i had a dozen for sale. O n saying that the ones i have had sold in hours. Got one left. (not for sale) always looking and asking.

I try to obtain one of each calibre of each pistol or rifle type in my collection, not always easy as .22 is more popular and easier to find than the .177 rifles and pistols.

Interesting question. I, as many, buy the collectible that is available. Rare guns may not give us a choice? If given a choice I would usually prefer .177 as I collect a lot of prewar German guns and they were generally of lower power and in .177. I think .22 tended to be a preference in the US and UK? given their use in hunting? Prewar spring pistols to me make the most sense in .177 given the low power. Haenel 28’s being the perfect example. I’m a backyard plinker so 7 FPE rifles work perfectly for my shooting needs. Latest examples, 1920’s FLZ. BSA Stutzen bought this year is full power but I was happy it was in .177. Only reason to me to prefer .22 is they are less fiddlehead fiddly to load, and if that caliber fills a collecting need like wanting a gun in each.

Any rifle pistol that are hard to find in any caliber would be worth while collecting

.177 unless it was only made in .22

I prefer .177 for serous pistol shooting but am less concerned about calibre with rifles. Having said that, I would still opt for .177 when precision shooting due its flatter trajectory. With regard to pistols, I have found .22 more accurate when shooting gas pistols rather than springers with the reverse being the case in .177 calibre.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I prefer .177 for serous pistol shooting but am less concerned about calibre with rifles. Having said that, I would still opt for .177 when precision shooting due its flatter trajectory. With regard to pistols, I have found .22 more accurate when shooting gas pistols rather than springers with the reverse being the case in .177 calibre.

Brian
    Are you saying with spring pistols .177 are more accurate?