Thread: Walther LG 55/LGV compatibility

Walther LG 55/LGV stock compatibility

I was able to locate a nice tyrolean stock that came from a LG 55. I thought that I could use it on my '60s vintage LGV. But then, as you can see in the pics, I realized that the tyrolean stock will have to be modified in order to accept the LGV action. Wood will have to be removed from the forend if I want to have enough clearance to be able to cock the rifle.

What do you think about this modification ? Should I go on and do it ? Do you see any potential issues ? Any advices from Walther owners who already did this mod ?

Thanks !

Last edited by ISSF10.9; 29-08-2021 at 05:31 PM.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Looks like an easy thing to do if everything else lines up, and you'll be able to use it and enjoy it.
    Alos, I can't see the mo woudl negatively affect using the tyro on the action for whcih it was originally intended, so I'd go for it.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Got one of each in Tyro. Can get photo tomorrow if it helps

Got one of each in Tyro. Can get photo tomorrow if it helps
    If it's not too much trouble for you, yes, I would like to see your LGV Tyrolean stock.

Thanks for the offer !

Can I be “that guy” who suggests that a 55 tyro stock is a rare and special thing that might better be left unmolested?

Hi
    I've already done that too, my stock was split at the front screw holes too ,repaired that left it to cure,couple of 100 shots on a lg53 to check it was ok, then cut the slot
    Put it on to check it didn't foul never got round to taking it off to Finnish !
    every time I get it from the cabinet I start shooting it and never get to take it off to refinish repairs ..it's also got a couple of chips out off cheek support (what is it called)lol
    got it from e-gun for 38euros last year and if your careful cutting it can always be replaced
    This lgvs is the only Walther I kept out of 8 Walther springers as it was the only one I used.
    I use fwb300s two spring set in mine with the Walther guide very smooth
    Cheers ian

Thumbs up

I have an LG55t but only just noticed that it doesn't have the bull barrel!!

It's strange, Maybe it was a normal 55 with the tyro added later!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Some LG 55's have no barrel sleeve, or threading for the sleeve retaining nut. I believe this may be typical of early guns, but may have been a factory option subsequently, not sure. As far as I know, not related to which stock the gun had?

Most LG 55's have a sleeve that is 19mm in diameter, with the muzzle threaded for a knurled retaining nut. (The LG 55T pictured just above appears to me to have this setup, but I may be misinterpreting the photos.)

The LGV and LGV Special have a much heavier 24mm sleeve, with characteristic flat cutaways in front of the breech block. The re-designed locked breech was required to hold it up. The sleeve is typically blued on the LGV and phosphated on the Special.

And yes, I'm a total Luddite collector nerd, and would not alter a vintage Walther stock.
    Last edited by MDriskill; 31-08-2021 at 11:35 AM.