Thread: Silencer question.

Silencer question.

While busying with cars & guns today a mate dropped back a TG serial Meteor S Mk 3 (regular Mk 4 if you like) I'd let him play with pre Covid plus a couple of years
    This was an old gun that I failed to sell cheap on here a fair while ago so I had decided at the time to experiment before deciding what to finally do with it and then loaned to him as he volunteered to see why it wasn't latching up while visiting one day looking for something to do.

What I had done just before that was have the barrel shortened, crowned and threaded 1/2" UNF to fit a Parker silencer, for the sheer hell of it to be honest.

Anyway he's brought it back now declaring a new trigger is needed and the question and reason for the post, is he said the silencer has no baffles in it.
    I have unscrewed the end and laid out what was inside, so what have I got missing if you check the picture supplied?

The gun isn't really too bad as it happens and I think I still have it's original barrel, it might need a trigger although I'm not so sure so will look into it myself sometime (I have three projects where latching is a concern)!!
    If I fix the latching up it'd probably be a good gun.

https://imgur.com/gallery/SMvcocb

Steve
    Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

You have a Parker Hale steel silencer. You should have a stack of baffles, plus two flat washers and a short piece of spring.

Ideally you need a length of rod and stack the baffles onto each other so the slightly curved base piece sits in the first baffle and then just add all the baffles in the same manner. Then add a flat washer, followed by the spring section and then the final washer. Slide these into the body of the silencer and then screw down the cap.

You can do it with out a rod but it's a faff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    You have a Parker Hale steel silencer. You should have a stack of baffles, plus two flat washers and a short piece of spring.

Ideally you need a length of rod and stack the baffles onto each other so the slightly curved base piece sits in the first baffle and then just add all the baffles in the same manner. Then add a flat washer, followed by the spring section and then the final washer. Slide these into the body of the silencer and then screw down the cap.

You can do it with out a rod but it's a faff.
    Hi Mark, yes I did all that as that's exactly what I had (see photo). I just wanted to know if that was everything or if some other bits were missing seeing he'd said there was nothing at all, he must be blind!!
    Each disk was covered in some odd unhealthy looking powder of some kind too?

Thanks

Steve
    Steve

parker hale mods are simple but quite effective....those bits are the baffles.
    are you sure the mod not been used on a rimfire ?

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    parker hale mods are simple but quite effective....those bits are the baffles.
    are you sure the mod not been used on a rimfire ?
    I've no idea of it's previous use, I bought it second hand and can't even remember where.
    It came complete as is, mate says it has no baffles so I opened it up and all seems correct it would appear so I put it back together.
    No idea how effective it is because the Meteor it's fitted to isn't operating due to mentioned trigger/latching issue.
    Probably no point having it on such a mechanically noisy gun anyway, it was just something to do for the sake of it really on a non working gun.
    If I can solve the latching I might just put it back to normal seeing as it's fairly presentable.

Steve
    Steve

The PH is a pretty good rimfire moderator. It won't do that much on an air rifle and might even work better with no baffles at all. Just doesn't have much gas to manage on an air rifle.

A new one isn't expensive anyhow.

The hobby is just playing with it all, and getting it to go pop. The trigger doesn't have many parts and not much to go wrong.
    Have fun.