Thread: A rambling question regarding the BSA Military Pattern Air Rifle.

A rambling question regarding the BSA Military Pattern Air Rifle.

A friend of mine was chatting to me on the phone the other day and mentioned his BSA Military Pattern Air Rifle and that some of it's parts were interchangeable with the standard BSA Underlevers of the same period. It's not a subject that I know anything at all about but always thought that there were very few standard BSA Underlever parts that would swap between the two items. I have no text books to refer to that would help me at all in expanding my knowledge a little bit and wondered in any BBS'ers had a rough idea of the answer or alternatively could point me in the direction of a Web Site with a bit of useful info on it.

Thanks, Vic Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Thompson View Post
    A friend of mine was chatting to me on the phone the other day and mentioned his BSA Military Pattern Air Rifle and that some of it's parts were interchangeable with the standard BSA Underlevers of the same period. It's not a subject that I know anything at all about but always thought that there were very few standard BSA Underlever parts that would swap between the two items. I have no text books to refer to that would help me at all in expanding my knowledge a little bit and wondered in any BBS'ers had a rough idea of the answer or alternatively could point me in the direction of a Web Site with a bit of useful info on it.

Thanks, Vic Thompson.
    I was just flicking through John Knibbs BSA and Lincoln Jeffries Air Rifles (I keep it close to hand since my old double sear sent me potty) and in the last paragraph of page 125 for example says:
    "The BSA Military Pattern Air Rifle was fitted with the same breech plug system as the Improved Model BSA Air Rifle. The cocking lever arrangement was also the same. Standard Ordinary pattern cylinders were used but were marked: The BSA Air Rifle (Military Pattern) The Birmingham Small Arms Company Limited. Sole Manufacturers".

Not a perfect answer as where is says "system" might mean in the style of but not necessarily the exact parts although it sounds as if other than markings that the cylinder might have been the same.
    Equally it's a model I know nothing about and I've only ever seen one from a few yards so completing the book might reveal more to me.
    As the rifle was developed it may well have gone it's own route re having unique parts or perhaps sensibly more interchangeable parts.

In reality regardless of the written info collectors knowledge will be much more useful so lets hope some good info follows and maybe some web site links will be quoted.
    Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Vic,

The cocking arms will interchange, the cylinder / barrel assy. has a service Lee type rear sight, and foresight band with Lee inserts so is really just different in these respects from a normal cylinder, piston maybe, all the rest is different, if you look at all the photos here of one in bits, it will be clear.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...57627403551588

ATB, ED
    Last edited by edbear2; 30-08-2021 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks for the replies to date folks. The one in question has several parts missing and my guess is that these bits are unavailable and that it will always be just a wall hanger (unless someone gets by with standard BSA parts where they can do so).

And, if by any chance it does get rebuilt I'll make sure that I get to see it before it gets moved on.

Vic Thompson.