Thread: A bit of airgun historical trivia

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

A bit of airgun historical trivia

Some of you may recall that I have been involved in a project to to make a copy of a Kuchenreuter air pistol. This is the original pistol I am basing it on.

All the mechanical components were finished a while back and the assembled gun worked well, but due to various distractions progress on the finishing touches (engraving, bluing etc.) have been rather on-and-off. However, things are on the move again, and when I tackled the lettering on the barrel a couple of days ago, I thought this would be a slow process as copying these old fonts can be quite difficult. However, I was surprised to find that the widely used 'Engravers MT' font, which can found on any word processor or on Photoshop, is identical to that on the pistol. Here is how they compare.

I find it amazing that this font has been in worldwide use, unchanged, for more than 200 years.

That is surprising, it looks identical…should make your etching look perfect.
    Looking forward to seeing the rustle.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the rustle.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Is that an anagram, Matt?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    I find it amazing that this font has been in worldwide use, unchanged, for more than 200 years.
    Yes, amazingly similar! Makes you wonder how many things we take for granted have lasted so long.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Is that an anagram, Matt?
    That’s pretty rare for autocorrect…the letters are all there, just not necessarily in the right order…