Thread: Advice please: which mounts? Heirinkan Model A

Advice please: which mounts? Heirinkan Model A

Hi,
    Can someone advise me on which mounts to use for this breech (Heirinkan Model A)?
    It has 15 mm dovetails, with more metal above the rails than usual, if that makes sense.
    I bought Meteor mounts from Knibbs, with the idea to file the underside for extra clearance.
    The issue is, that this won't give enough clearance as I will hit the mount hex screws very quickly.

The Nikko scope that is on the gun, fits well. But the clearance between the scope and the loading port is narrow; it's super fiddly to load a pellet.

Meteor mounts:
    https://www.airgunspares.com/meteorm...opemounts.html

Perhaps someones has a good tip.

Many thanks!
    Louis

Hi Louis. My thoughts on this :

1 Can you use the one piece that is on there and just move it back a shade to give a bit more fumble room ?

2 If you are determined to make use of the Meteor mounts it's going to be more or less of a lashup depending on who does it.
    ie If you only have a file and hacksaw it probably won't work. As you observed, the screws will be inpinged upon, so will almost certainly need to be reduced in diameter , but only their centre sections so that they still have enough length of thread on their ends. Only someone with the actual dimensions can know if this scenario is do-able , and making a job of reducing the screws will be tricky without a lathe. Still possible though...
    Maybe a new screw hole slightly higher and centrally disposed ? Very poor mechanical advantage from this, but it doesn't have to cope with recoil..
    Make new higher side clamp and cut away fixed side ; let in a new higher "fixed" threaded clamp held with screw or pin....

3 Tap up your Japanese contacts for an original set of mounts.

4 Design new ones and have them made up by a competent machinist.

5 Seek divine assistance...

Best of luck,
    Mark

Some BKL mounts have a 14mm dovetail, if that helps.

Thank you very much gents for the advice.

@Mark, good points there. My friend Shimizu San in Tokyo is shooting his Heirinkan with two piece mounts; I will ask again what they are. He wasn’t sure last time I asked ha-ha.

Moving the one piece mount to the rear is a good idea. This scope is exactly what Heirinkan meant to use;
    it’s depicted in their folder. A rebrander Nikko Special 4x20. However I wanted to use something else, probably my Kassnar 4x40, with higher mounts. I enjoy my shooting much more with good optics.

Another option would be to simply use the original peep sight which I have.

@Geezer, thank you, I will have a look at BKL mounts.

Cheers, Louis