Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collectors' Section, here, sometimes more popular than the general section

Collectors' Section, here, sometimes more popular than the general section

As I logged on a few minutes ago, I noticed there were 176 viewers on the general section but 179 viewers in the collectors' section. I have noticed this before, recently. It appears that the popularity of this section of the site is rising even although the general section usually exceeds this section in numbers of viewers.

Could this be because the general forum is increasingly being associated with pcp? Or could it be that older springers and their internals have a nostalgic value to shooters, with interest in these rifles growing?

Rgds
    A

For me it’s because new rifles are generally now all the same with a fancy name of slightly different stock slapped on them. No new rifle has excited me in a long time now…

The more vintage stuff (even up to the early 2000’s now I think of it) just had character and IMO a better aesthetic. You can tell now that rifles are designed with the bottom line in mind.
    Slightly obsessed with Single Stroke Pneumatics
    Also making stocks over at Daviesbuilt gunstocks.

You cant beat the older rifles most where built to last

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    As I logged on a few minutes ago, I noticed there were 176 viewers on the general section but 179 viewers in the collectors' section. I have noticed this before, recently. It appears that the popularity of this section of the site is rising even although the general section usually exceeds this section in numbers of viewers.

Rgds
    A
    I noticed this too recently, Andrew.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I noticed this too recently, Andrew.
    Me too. General usually goes a bit quiet in the holiday season - but it has been very quiet the last couple of weeks.

Maybe all it will take is someone starting a HW100 v RTen v Daystate thread, or a “20 calibre is best” one…?

And, against all of the other options on the net, this is almost certainly the best place to discuss older airguns.

The vintage area is the best in the world, seriously, nothing close to it. So you are attracting a world viewing. The modern stuff I could get on many forums. Many here in the States. So I think those areas lack as much interest outside UK?

Quote Originally Posted by tomdavies9 View Post
    For me it’s because new rifles are generally now all the same with a fancy name of slightly different stock slapped on them. No new rifle has excited me in a long time now…

The more vintage stuff (even up to the early 2000’s now I think of it) just had character and IMO a better aesthetic. You can tell now that rifles are designed with the bottom line in mind.

Yes, I think this hits the nail squarely on the head. Probably, many others are reaching the same view. As Flint says, there is little competition elsewhere, too.

Perhaps, also, there is little now that can be improved upon with springers, although I would like to see more work done with regard to the impact of temperature on velocity. In addition, if FWB came out with a new sporting springer in 22, I would probably buy one.

Rgds
    A

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    As I logged on a few minutes ago, I noticed there were 176 viewers on the general section but 179 viewers in the collectors' section. I have noticed this before, recently. It appears that the popularity of this section of the site is rising even although the general section usually exceeds this section ......
    It would be interesting to know the age of the members on here. I think maybe that the older members think back to their airguns they had and see if their past is back. I'm in my 60s and have electronic Daystate''s in my possession but, i still show an interest in airguns of my youth. Why do I look at a Webley Jaguar, at Kempton soon ? Because it was the first air rifle i got with my pocket money at the age of 13.
    Last edited by where's it gone; 10-09-2021 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tomdavies9 View Post

Agreed. Many new air rifles now have synthetic/camouflaged stocks and have been cost-reduced with the substitution of plastic fore-sights and trigger guards etc. for original metal components. Not for me! All the guns I owned as a youngster (springers) were all-metal with a good looking and comfortable wooden stock.

Gentlemens Corner

Best part of any forum and with links to Danny's site. What more could you ask for......
    https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....sept-5th-2021/

Personality, I've always found this section more grown up, and not effected by the petty arguing that goes on in other sections.

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Personality, I've always found this section more grown up, and not effected by the petty arguing that goes on in other sections.
    Oh no it isn't.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Dont start.

Only mature sensible people in this section

image.jpeg

And good luck for tomorrow's event, Pete.

All the best Mick