Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Collectors' Section, here, sometimes more popular than the general section

Thanks Mick

I agree this is the best collectors' forum in the world, no doubt.

But there is competition, to be sure. The .co.uk airgunforum's vintage area is growing in strength and the American Vintage Airguns forum has some great members that don't post on here.

The GTA forum has a vintage area, as does the South African Air Rifles forum, and the Airgun Warriors (formerly the 'yellow') forum also covers several guns that appear in this forum. The last two (plus the AVA and my Gallery) are administered by Citizen K - a member on here - who is a true friend of vintage airgunners.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

For me there is no rifle that’s better than anything made in the 70’s/80’s/90’s and certainly up to when Webley and Scott went under.

This section is my go to place for reading on my favourite airguns. I think my age (60+) is a motivator for this.

It would be interesting to see the demographics of the visitors, based on say, age and reason for owning and reading up older airguns.

I can identify with certain types of airguns based on how they were made rather than who made them. Diana, Walther and Anschutz spring to mind. Modern variants made by these makers are more likely to be discussed in the general forum, so I tend to hang around the collector's section to read on the models that float my boat.

Yes, very good point about the age demographic of those who visit this section of the forum and, indeed, similar forums elsewhere. If new shooters are brought up with pcps, will they cross over to springers? There are still those who buy springers, because of the cost of pcps.

Rgds
    A

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Looking at the attendance on Sundays vintage fair, whilst there is defnitly a bias towards the older generation, there's a good amount of middle aged folks interested too... My worry is that as a kid growing up in the 70's and 80's, and having just turned 50, am I one of the last generation who would have grown up in times of a relatively widespread acceptance of airgun shooting and popularity ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    .. There are still those who buy springers, because of the cost of pcps.
    Rgds
    A
    There will always be springers because shooters will realize, eventually, that springers hit the target equally as a pcp, but at a lot less cost.
    I've always thought that pcp's popularity was born from the persons 'inner wanting' for a real powder burner but without the legal bit of ownership, more so with the magazine loaded pcp. This probably has the same effect as to trying to get more power out of a springer. It's trying to get, what you want, but can't have and making do,

Age range

Just checked my YouTube channel stats.
    (All vintage airguns, Britannia vid vid went a bit international and got 500,000+ views)

Age range for the channel:
    18-24. 16%
    25-34. 24%
    45-54. 16%
    55-64. 12%
    65+. 8.5%

Obviously this is also a reflection of the sort of ages that use YouTube but it’s interesting that 24-35 is the highest group.

With regards to countries:
    India, Brazil and U.K. are all 8% but in the last month Egypt has 13%. US only 5%.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    (All vintage airguns, Britannia vid vid went a bit international and got 500,000+ views)

Cheers,
    Matt
    Blimey that Britannia video was popular, Matt!

So far this calendar year the vintage airguns gallery has had 137,259 visitors and 7,620,429 hits.

Monthly unique visitors seem to average about 16,000.

Last edited by Garvin; 08-09-2021 at 01:57 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post

Age range for the channel:
    18-24. 16%
    25-34. 24%
    45-54. 16%
    55-64. 12%
    65+. 8.5%

Obviously this is also a reflection of the sort of ages that use YouTube but it’s interesting that 24-35 is the highest group.

With regards to countries:
    India, Brazil and U.K. are all 8% but in the last month Egypt has 13%. US only 5%.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Yes those are very interesting stats, and yes l agree that the 24-35 group are more into you tube. but that is still a good % wise that were interested enough to take a look. lets hope some of them get hooked with antique vintage airguns. although the US is low that is still a growing field there.lets hope some of them get hooked on antique/vintage airguns

Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    There are still those who buy springers, because of the cost of pcps.
    Rgds
    A
    A similar comparison is to older cars. The basic tools needed to service the older car was 7/16th spanner, a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer Nowadays, you need a computer and a knowledge of dismantling body parts just for accessing what you need to get at. Similar to a springer and PCP rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by where's it gone View Post
    A similar comparison is to older cars. The basic tools needed to service the older car was 7/16th spanner, a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer.
    Very good.

Things got harder in 1932 when car makers started using 3/8th inch spanners. It was downhill from there. (Just as well if you had a 15bhp Austin 7).
    Vintage Airguns Gallery