Thread: Meteor question

Meteor question

I have a Meteor S Mk3 that is a 3rd gun of mine with latching issues that I was going to break for parts but thought I'd just see if I can solve it (this is the one in another post where I fitted a Parker rimfire silencer for fun) however before I go very far is this amount of float? correct at the piston head, gap must be about 2-3mm at a guess.

As for the latching up the profile of the sear and the piston notch seem fine, might be a trigger install issue? spring fitting does seem fiddly.

https://imgur.com/gallery/i4QwFGu

Also the TG serial suggests Mk 4 (or 3 as an S which it is) but has a Mk 5 articulated cocking link, no matter just wondered why but of the years things get altered of course.
    Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by stevegv8 View Post
    I have a Meteor S Mk3 that is a 3rd gun of mine with latching issues that I was going to break for parts but thought I'd just see if I can solve it (this is the one in another post where I fitted a Parker rimfire silencer for fun) however before I go very far is this amount of float? correct at the piston head, gap must be about 2-3mm at a guess.

As for the latching up the profile of the sear and the piston notch seem fine, might be a trigger install issue? spring fitting does seem fiddly.

Also the TG serial suggests Mk 4 (or 3 as an S which it is) but has a Mk 5 articulated cocking link, no matter just wondered why but of the years things get altered of course.

Hi Steve.

If it has a MK5 cocking link it will also have a MK5 stock, so it could be that you have a MK5s that's had a barrel swap.

The buffer washer looks a bit fubar on your piston allowing the gap.

I have had a Meteor where the cylinder was warn opposite the trigger unit which stopped it latching, so worth a look there as you can't adjust the problem out.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi Steve.

If it has a MK5 cocking link it will also have a MK5 stock, so it could be that you have a MK5s that's had a barrel swap.

The buffer washer looks a bit fubar on your piston allowing the gap.

I have had a Meteor where the cylinder was warn opposite the trigger unit which stopped it latching, so worth a look there as you can't adjust the problem out.

All the best Mick

Hi Mick, Ok worth a thought but as the trigger parts are also Mk 4 I was thinking Mk 5 parts had been added. Did S stocks differ between models to give a clue?
    Steve

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

The best thing you can do is to try the piston without the main spring or guide in . If it is not latching and holding (when you try to push it forward with a rod or similar), then try adjusting the trigger adjusting screw about 1/4 turn at a time. If it then latches can holds ok, try replacing the guide and cylinder pin, just to check that the guide is not stopping the piston moving back far enough to latch.
    Regarding the piston head, they are a bit hit and miss as to how well they fit. Yours looks well worn. You may be able to use a tap washer with the hole opened out , but they generally need a placky milk bottle shim in as well. Sometimes you can get a plain steel washer in. Someone made me some thick leather buffer washers that were pretty good as well.

As Mick has said -------the stock for the one piece cocking will have the long slot and the one for the articulated one will have the short slot and the bit of rubbing material stapled in the stock. The articulated cocking lever wont worn in the long slot stock.
    Please let us know how you get on.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Hi Mick, Ok worth a thought but as the trigger parts are also Mk 4 I was thinking Mk 5 parts had been added. Did S stocks differ between models to give a clue?
    The stocks used with the articulated cocking link only have a short cocking arm slot in the and a little plastic pad inside the front of the stock for the arm to rub on.
    The stocks used on none articulated cocking arm guns just have a long cocking arm slot in the forend.

As far as I know the articulated cocking arm won't work in the earlier stock ?

All the best Mick

The stock is the appropriate short slot, I have a nice .177 (NG) Meteor Cadet that also is short slot and articulated link too.
    BSA's history is always quoted as assembling what's to hand though isn't it.
    Steve

For the piston head end-float try a new buffer washer and/or pack it as suggested earlier. The slotted keyhole spigot arrangement is loose tolerance to start with and prone to wear.