Thread: Original 52 strip guide

Original 52 strip guide

Hi all, I have got to strip my 52 down to service it and replace the breech seal and I can’t get the rear block/trigger unit to release.
    I have the sidelever off and the 2 pins out and a hex key is in the first pin hole just to be safe.

Can anyone help please?……..if only these were as easy as a hw35 to strip!)

Regards
    Me

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    Hi all, I have got to strip my 52 down to service it and replace the breech seal and I can’t get the rear block/trigger unit to release.
    I have the sidelever off and the 2 pins out and a hex key is in the first pin hole just to be safe.

Can anyone help please?……..if only these were as easy as a hw35 to strip!)

Regards
    Me
    Hi Andy

If you have the two pins out and the rear stock screw out the trigger unit should just slide out.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi Andy

If you have the two pins out and the rear stock screw out the trigger unit should just slide out.

All the best Mick
    Agreed. Unless out of good fortune the gun has little to no preload and the trigger unit housing is a tad tight. Usually the remaining preload pushed the unit out.
    Sound like it needs a little help to come out. But best get it back in a sash cramp or compressor or such just to be safe when doing so.
    Dave

Absolutely zero pre load, everything just fell out!

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    Absolutely zero pre load, everything just fell out!
    You were lucky, Andy.

The later guns with the transfer port restrictor plate under the breech seal are fitted with the FAC mainsprings and have a hell of a lot of preload.
    I have to mount the actions in my lathe and use the tail stock to act as a spring compressor for removal and refitting the spring.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    You were lucky, Andy.

The later guns with the transfer port restrictor plate under the breech seal are fitted with the FAC mainsprings and have a hell of a lot of preload.
    I have to mount the actions in my lathe and use the tail stock to act as a spring compressor for removal and refitting the spring.

All the best Mick

Ah funny you should mention a restrictor plate there is one fitted, thought it wise to leave it in there.