Thread: any info on giant bsa prewar please

any info on giant bsa prewar please

thanks

Any particular kind of info you’d like?

Quote Originally Posted by zeroscore View Post
    thanks
    You'll have to be more specific than that.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

thanks
    As in the No3 .25 cal....

which bsa .s were called the giant from which dates in .22
    i takes it they were all .22 or .25?
    release and when of course it ended

i understand later models were long toms ect

i am interested in the early status of the term giants . and dates serials ect

As far a I know the term 'giant' was only an informal one to refer to the 45.5in prewar rifles as opposed to the Light patterns. Also nicknamed 'Long Tom'.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    As far a I know the term 'giant' was only an informal one to refer to the 45.5in prewar rifles as opposed to the Light patterns. Also nicknamed 'Long Tom'.
    I agree. I think it’s a later collectors/dealers nickname, not a term used by BSA, who used to call them the Standard or Heavyweight Pattern.

so available in all cals ?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I agree. I think it’s a later collectors/dealers nickname, not a term used by BSA, who used to call them the Standard or Heavyweight Pattern.
    Shouldn't that be the 'Sporting' or Heavyweight pattern at 45-1/2" . I thought the standard was 43-1/2" . Did BSA change the names roundabout WW1? I've heard the term 'long Tom' but today is the first time I have ever heard the term Giant applied to any BSA model

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Shouldn't that be the 'Sporting' or Heavyweight pattern at 45-1/2" . I thought the standard was 43-1/2" . Did BSA change the names roundabout WW1? I've heard the term 'long Tom' but today is the first time I have ever heard the term Giant applied to any BSA model
    1913 BSA catalogue (p115 in Knibbs BSA&LJ) lists three models:

Standard or Heavy Weight Pattern

Light or Medium Weight Pattern

Junior or Boys Pattern.

edbear2 Guest
    so available in all cals ?
    Over the two eras (pre and post WW1) yes as they did a 45 inch .177 in the second era, the first era was when they did the .22 Sporting and .25 .......all the long tom and other names came from God knows where, easier to go by lengths I find myself

ATB, Ed

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    The Standard prefix was applied to all sizes as I understand it once they started to use that moniker and etch instead of roll impress cylinders late in the first period (and their guns also lost the steel butt plate so the stocks were like the post 1919 guns with a wood bolt acess cover).

Even in Knibb's book it's confusing as he say's Standard pattern for both .177 back to 1906 for .177's to differentiate from Light, Junior etc. and obviously later Military. Then he says "Standard pattern..Improved model D"

Hence say on a Light pattern in the 1930's it will say; The BSA Standard Air Rifle.......177 bore (no. 1), and the same on a 43 or 45 incher etc. obviously with .22 bore (no.2) as applicable.

So re-visting this after a dekko at the book, it seems even first batch rifles were called Standard Pattern in there, so I give up

ATB, Ed
    Last edited by edbear2; 07-09-2021 at 07:47 AM.