Thread: Buying and selling at auction

Buying and selling at auction

I have occasionally bought a gun from auction over the Internet and generally been pretty pleased or at least ok with what turned up.

My latest venture was only so-so though. Cosmetically ok but not holding air, chewed screw heads, stripped threads and a trigger that needed work.

Now, I know an auction is caveat emptor and I haven’t really minded fixing this, but my question is what do we think of the ethics of selling a gun in that state via auction without saying anything (yes, I know it’s legal, my question is not can you but should you).

I don’t see that a vendor can possibly not know if a gun holds air, for instance. It’s not the same as a springer being a bit down on power. Ok I guess when we buy an old gun we probably all assume it may need resealing, but if someone sold a gun like that on here without mentioning it I think we’d not feel that was right. Does it make a difference if it’s via auction ? Similarly if you’ve stripped the threads I think you’d own up to it. (Assuming you didn’t actually fix it)

If I was to put a gun in non working condition in auction I’d certainly tell the auctioneer it was at fault, and if a friend said he’d sold something that didn’t work via auction without mentioning it I would not be impressed

At least on the dreaded bay people with dodgy morals have to put « haven’t tested don’t know if working » (ie « I have tested it and I do know it’s not working »)

Or am i wrong and thats just how auctions are?
    Morally flawed

I agree that caution is needed when buying anything without having seen it first on-line or otherwise.
    Some responsible auction houses do provide honest descriptions and list faults to make potential purchasers aware of their presence. I believe this should always be the case with an option to return the item if it significantly differs from the description. Not everybody can or should have to put obvious faults right under these circumstances.
    Brian

Bit old school to say that I would hope that any airgun being sold at auction would have been accurately described by the seller to the auctioneers.

However as the auction house will undoubtable achieve a lower amount for run of the mill items so described, it's just not in their interests.

I always assume unless told otherwise that CO2 and pumpers will need a reseal. What narcs though is when you find that either parts are missing or have been damaged and not declared.

Some auction houses will state ‘requires seals’ on ssp’s that don’t hold air which is helpful.

As MarkD said I always assume a springer will require new seals and a bit of fettling, and will always give them a service anyway for piece of mind.

Matt

I suppose some auction gear is being sold by relatives of the deceased etc so realistically they can't be expected to know much about it and the auction house can't (or won't) test everything that comes through its doors. Hence the caveat emptor statement. It really is pot luck buying from an auction, even if you give it a visual inspection first.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.