I have occasionally bought a gun from auction over the Internet and generally been pretty pleased or at least ok with what turned up.

My latest venture was only so-so though. Cosmetically ok but not holding air, chewed screw heads, stripped threads and a trigger that needed work.

Now, I know an auction is caveat emptor and I haven’t really minded fixing this, but my question is what do we think of the ethics of selling a gun in that state via auction without saying anything (yes, I know it’s legal, my question is not can you but should you).

I don’t see that a vendor can possibly not know if a gun holds air, for instance. It’s not the same as a springer being a bit down on power. Ok I guess when we buy an old gun we probably all assume it may need resealing, but if someone sold a gun like that on here without mentioning it I think we’d not feel that was right. Does it make a difference if it’s via auction ? Similarly if you’ve stripped the threads I think you’d own up to it. (Assuming you didn’t actually fix it)

If I was to put a gun in non working condition in auction I’d certainly tell the auctioneer it was at fault, and if a friend said he’d sold something that didn’t work via auction without mentioning it I would not be impressed

At least on the dreaded bay people with dodgy morals have to put « haven’t tested don’t know if working » (ie « I have tested it and I do know it’s not working »)

Or am i wrong and thats just how auctions are?