Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bell target rifle suggestions for a lady shooter

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    OK, just to put the technique issue to bed. What Yana can do and your wife can do, isn't necessarily applicable to what the lady in question can do.

We're a club of 16 regular shooters with combined shooting experience of well over 500 years between us, we have two qualified coaches one being a former world hft champion amongst our number.

If improvements in technique were possible they would have been made.

Thanks for the input.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Hi Dave, another recommendation but not an obvious one I guess, is the wee Russian Baikal IJ38 which came in various versions over the years... earlier models had the barrel latch mechanism. They’re relatively small and light, very well made and produce around the 5 foot pound mark and their accuracy is good for bell target shooting.
    They still turn up for sale from time to time as probably a lot were sold due to their value for money, being sold along with a spare spring and seals back in the day.
    Guid to see that your club is developing and providing a worthwhile enjoyable activity for folks.
    Cheers, Graeme

Hi Dave,
    My missus uses a Walther tyro LG55 for bell target. We removed the block of lead in the stock as she found it too heavy but left the barrel sleeve on as she finds the balance perfect. The trigger is very good.

She also has a FWB603 junior which we managed to get from Germany, I think that it’s 3.5kg.
    I actually find it much less stable than my much heavier 602.

She loves shooting them both, the tyro stock on the Walther is so comfortable for standers, and the stock on the 603 jnr is super adjustable.

The lady in question needs to try all the options out and hopefully one will be the perfect compromise of weight, cocking effort and stability.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Hi Dave,
    My missus uses a Walther tyro LG55 for bell target. We removed the block of lead in the stock as she found it too heavy but left the barrel sleeve on as she finds the balance perfect. The trigger is very good.

She also has a FWB603 junior which we managed to get from Germany, I think that it’s 3.5kg.
    I actually find it much less stable than my much heavier 602.

She loves shooting them both, the tyro stock on the Walther is so comfortable for standers, and the stock on the 603 jnr is super adjustable.

The lady in question needs to try all the options out and hopefully one will be the perfect compromise of weight, cocking effort and stability.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Honestly, Dave, if I didn’t live 150 miles from you, and my Walther LG55 (no barrel weight, choice of shortened youth stock or standard, both thanks to members - IJ and Hsingee- on here) wasn’t 150 miles away from me in the other direction at my mother’s house in Somerset, I’d lend it to you for her to try out. It’s got good reviews over the years from my petite 5’4” wife, and from my son between ages of 13-16, and me.

It holds well, it can (as above) be lightened. The trigger is ace. The sights are great. I can cock it with my little finger. Maybe 19 lbs.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    An update.

The lady has bought a QB78 and is over the moon with it, last night was her first shooting it. I chronoed it before we started and at 7,3, it's a bit close to our limit, so I'll keep an eye on it.

It suits her perfectly in terms of weight and fit, she also finds the cocking mechanism to her liking, although to my mind a cocking bolt would be far simpler than the side lever thingy.

The lack of adjustability of the stock annoys me, the finish would grate with some of us, and it's the noisiest gun at the club. BUT, it works, she scored her first 39.6 out of a possible 40.8 (that's 6 bells out of 8 shots) with it. Which having only put 40 pellets through it at that stage is brilliant.

When we get the juniors shooting again, I'm seriously considering buying a couple for them to use.

Thanks for all the contributions and advice, she's a very happy lady as a result.

Dave
    Last edited by Unframed Dave; 22-09-2021 at 07:11 AM.
    Smell my cheese

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    good result.

Turn the power down a tad will give you more shots, less cooling, and less noise
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Cooler evenings may reduce the power without any work.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    good result.

Turn the power down a tad will give you more shots, less cooling, and less noise
    Agreed Jon. Slightly weaker hammer spring and jobs done. No need to disturb any seals or upset the gun in any way. I think that Ped would be able to advise and supply a spring, I know he has full seal sets for them.

I hope she has a long and enjoyable relationship with the rifle

What about an OR65 or 66 with the barrel weight removed; these are often used by ladies and juniors and are super accurate. Also try an LGR without the barrel weight, it makes a huge difference.