Thread: Bsf 45

Bsf 45

Hello.
    I have enjoyed reading and learning on this forum for quite a while but this is my first post.
    I’m an Australian and just purchased a BSF S45. It’s on its way and I don’t have it yet. I’m wondering why the 45’s seems to have not been imported into the UK?
    When I first saw the 45 advertised I wondered if it may have been a youths rifle but it’s dimensions are almost identical to the S60. 19’ barrel and overall length is 42 1/2 for the 45
    19’ barrel and 43 1/4 overall length for the S60
    They look very similar to me. Maybe the Model no was also to identify it to be exported into a particular market?

I believe that the model 45 was available in the U.K. They are less common than the 54,55 and 70 here probably because the other similar sized models had no advantage in being offered for sale. The BSF Airguns were never commonly offered for sale here. They were expensive compared to the equivalents made by Webley & BSA. Hope this helps.

It sounds like in its description in the only catalog I’ve seen it described it may have been an a cheaper version. Maybe not as appealing.( I’ll soon find out&#128566
    The first sentence is “A well designed air rifle at a moderate price”
    Velocity was stated @ 206.24m/s
    The 55 @ 232.58m/s
    The 60&70 @ 225.21m/s
    In that era I think the power was important and perhaps one of the selling points for BSF so why buy the 45?
    So you might be right, it didn’t off anything the other models didn’t have and didn’t have the power. If anyone does have one or had one I’d love to have your opinion.
    Thanks for the reply 👍

I believe it was a slightly smaller, definitely lighter (6lbs v 6.5) and less powerful (your figures above) rifle otherwise very similar visually to the 55. It may (I can’t confirm this) have been basically a 55 with a shorter or slimmer tube. There was also an apparently similar model 50.

I believe the smaller BSFs (including the 35) were imported into the U.K., but sold in very small numbers.

The importer seemed to focus on the “adult” models 54 and 55 - especially once we were into the “power wars” of the 1970s.

Before the introduction of the FWB Sport (1973) and Diana 45 (1978) the 55 was arguably the most reliably powerful springer on sale, comfortably making 12ft-lbs or even a little more (this didn’t seem to matter back then!) even in .177”.

I think in respect of the 45, the market for a foreign-made, possibly quite expensive, 7-8 ft-lbs springer was tiny. Just buy a Meteor/Falcon/Milbro Diana.
    Last edited by Geezer; 09-09-2021 at 03:00 PM.

Of course, the VAG has a picture.

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....-45-air-rifle/

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....-50-air-rifle/

And the 50. Only difference I can see immediately from the 45 is a cheek piece.

And maybe a longer sight rail, though that could be a function of lighting in the pic?

I thought the 45 & 50 had a shorter cylinder it would be nice to know for sure . Some one who is good at picture sizing could probably measure it accurately enough .

Scroll down for what I imagine is the catalogue referred to by AirSupply.

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....miscellaneous/

I’d never really looked that closely into the model variations, but there seems to be a theme here: a distinction between sporter/plinkers (simple stocks, elevation-only adjustment rear sights and, on the 55, shorter barrel) and more refined semi-target guns (longer barrels, cheek pieces, fully adjustable rear sights). Which probably made some sense when the range was conceived in the 1950s.

My recollection (vague) is that the 55 gained a windage-adjustable rear sight in the mid/late 70s.

https://imgur.com/a/ZaceuuY
    Here is the 45 beside a Gecado/Original 25
    The cylinder is shorter on the 45 and the gun overall looks a similar size.
    I purchased these 2 rifles together and these are the photo’s sent by the seller.
    Geezer I think your spot on with where this gun lies in the in the BSF line up. Spec’s for the 45 are also only for .177 so probably only produced in that caliber because of its power limitations I guess.

The catalog is pretty hopeless in terms of properly describing the different models! Could be another reason BSF are gone.