Thread: What was the Germans equivalent of Bell Target?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    I think you are right, and to be honest I don’t even want to say the words ‘Hitler Youth’ in any of my videos.
    I think ‘German military trainer’ will have to suffice. Luckily my ‘33 is the senior version so maybe no need to mention it.

Cheers,
    Matt
    I think we’re in similar places. But -and I ought to know, sorry - were they actually used for training either the regular army or the Waffen SS? If not, it’s not a “military trainer”. It’s a relic from a very perverted version of the Boy Scouts.

I will shut up soon, but I have never liked the small sub-set of militaria/gun collectors who seem to like Nazi stuff because it’s Nazi.

There are undoubtedly German things from 1933-45 that are of huge historical interest, both because of their use in the war, and because they broke new ground and hugely influenced post-war developments (anything from the MP43 through the MG42 to the V2 rocket, Me262, or the type XXI submarine).

But the idea that a thing (say a Luger, in countries where they may be owned) is more desirable/valuable if it has a swastika or a totenkopf or whatever on it is just, well, sorry, but, actually sick. That Luger may have been used to shoot kneeling Jews in the back of the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I think we’re in similar places. But -and I ought to know, sorry - were they actually used for training either the regular army or the Waffen SS? If not, it’s not a “military trainer”. It’s a relic from a very perverted version of the Boy Scouts.

I think based on this Haenel ad the 33 ‘senior’ was still designed with youngsters in mind:

https://www.waffencenter-gotha.de/sh...aft:::168.html

(It is a 33 senior featured, not the junior model, and note the youths are in uniform clothing) that’s not your say it was never used by adults as a trainer, I just don’t know.

It’s fair to say I like this rifle despite its connection to said youths not because of it.
    It’s a sensitive area, but having taken mine apart and seen how it actually works I’m really keen to explain the mechanism in a video, as it is a genius design.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Last edited by ptdunk; 11-09-2021 at 11:05 PM.