Thread: What was the Germans equivalent of Bell Target?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What was the Germans equivalent of Bell Target?

When we had the Bell target boom in the U.K in the early 1900’s what kind of short range indoor target shooting were the Germans doing with air rifles?

The beautiful hand made gallery guns became the Bugelspanner, which was still popular but that seems to have developed into a fairground gun.

As it was before WW1 I suppose there were no arms restrictions and a lot of Germans would have shot those lovely flobert Scheibenbusche target rifles instead of air rifles.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Matt

Great question that has interested me as well. But in my internet wondering I have found very little on Germany Airgun gatherings. They had extensive gun clubs but I think most were not Airgun? I have seen posters of soldiers practicing at a indoor target? But hardly any real information?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Great question that has interested me as well. But in my internet wondering I have found very little on Germany Airgun gatherings. They had extensive gun clubs but I think most were not Airgun? I have seen posters of soldiers practicing at a indoor target? But hardly any real information?
    There is a great book you’d like called ‘Braun historical targets’ which outlines in some detail the history of the German ‘Schutzenfests’ all the way back to the 14th century.
    Doesn’t cover airguns but is a fascinating read with great pics of all the painted targets they use to shoot at.
    Originally in German but has been translated into English.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    There is a great book you’d like called ‘Braun historical targets’ which outlines in some detail the history of the German ‘Schutzenfests’ all the way back to the 14th century.
    Doesn’t cover airguns but is a fascinating read with great pics of all the painted targets they use to shoot at.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Agreed - an excellent book Matt. I keep calling the author Eva Braun though by mistake!

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

I have no idea - it’s a very good question.

It’s not just bell target that boomed in the Edwardian era. Also the growth, including using air rifles, of Miniature Rifle Clubs.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Dingendongenmiteinluftiron... very popular in Munich

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post

Cheers,
    Matt
    Interesting, they still have Schutzenfests in the US.

Invading Poland!

Hi Matt,

Marksmanship training was a prominent part of a Hitler Youth and pre teen Hitler Youth's training. Proficiency was encouraged through the awarding of medals and badges. A German language handbook I have has a thorough chapter on the subject and includes line drawings of the Haenel 33, Mars and Diana 30. Only trouble is the book is in German and I can't understand it!

I understand firearms ownership was curtailed by the Nazis, so prior to 1933 Schutzenfests were probably the most popular. The Germans and Eastern Europeans in general have a proud hunting heritage and a Schutzenfest was the ideal opportunity to show off your prowess with a rifle, then enjoy some beer. Postwar, certainly 10 metre match air rifle had its origins in Germany.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.