Thread: Morini 200ei

Morini 200ei

As a long time Morini fan I have been admiring the "new" Morini 200ei ever since its first launch pictures were released for sale early 2019.

I really like the two new cylinder colours yellow/gold and orange (thats what I call them - no doubt they will have an "official" colour name) and I can see the strong family resemblance to its 162ei predecessor. I am not too sure what all its claimed technical advantages are over the 162ei, but the fact that it is a newer model must bring with it some new "improvements" or upgrades?

Rumours suggest that the 200ei has a fairly large appetite for air with some reports suggesting that as few as 90 shots can be expected from a fully charged cylinder! If this is the case then it is certainly an "air greedy" match pistol compared to the 162ei. Fortunately air is not an expensive fuel to power it with, but having so few shots per cylinder would need more frequent re-filling that could be a little inconvenient at times.

I also understand that some of the early pistols had troublesome circuit boards that needed to be exchanged (by the factory foc) for those with improved software. These updated circuit boards can be identified as they are marked v4.0 and all 200ei pistols should have been updated so any that may come up for sale should have this new updated circuit board already fitted.

The new coloured cylinders come with the same digital manometer that was first seen on the Titan version of the 162ei. Some like these digital manometers and others don't, but it looks like these will be the new "norm" although the original type cylinder with mechanical manometers are interchangeable with them and can still be used - and hopefully they will also be made available in the two new colours as well!

Two 'special edition" variants of the 200ie (Purple and Titanium) were released in June 2020 (limited to 250 of each colour). These look like they were only optional colour changes with no technical differences, and they are also getting old enough t be making an appearance on the s/h market shortly too!

The price for a new 200ei is probably a little out of my reach, but I am hoping that they have been around long enough for some good used examples to come up for sale in the not too distant future - and when they do, I would be more than a little interested in buying one to enjoy owning and shooting one and to find out for myself if I can see or feel any advantage over the time proven accuracy and reliability of the 162ei that I still enjoy shooting.
    Last edited by zooma; 11-09-2021 at 06:31 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I have a couple Morini pistols, an older 162e with the fixed cylinder and a CM84e LBP. The electronic trigger is fantastic on both but both of mine take the slightly obscure 15v battery. It would be interesting to know what advantages the 200ei has over the 162ei, I find it hard to believe they can make it that much bette though as the 162 didn’t seem to have many shortcomings. I’ve considered upgrading my 162e to the 162ei spec (at lest the removeable cylinder) but don’t think I could justify upgrading beyond that, especially since I’ve mostly been shooting a Feinwerkbau SSP recently.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGunn View Post
    I have a couple Morini pistols, an older 162e with the fixed cylinder and a CM84e LBP. The electronic trigger is fantastic on both but both of mine take the slightly obscure 15v battery. It would be interesting to know what advantages the 200ei has over the 162ei, I find it hard to believe they can make it that much bette though as the 162 didn’t seem to have many shortcomings. I’ve considered upgrading my 162e to the 162ei spec (at lest the removeable cylinder) but don’t think I could justify upgrading beyond that, especially since I’ve mostly been shooting a Feinwerkbau SSP recently.
    I think the only difference's between your Morini CM 162e match air pistol and the newer CB162ei model is the removable air cylinder, and the different circuit board that requires a different 15volt battery.

The CM162ei uses two AAA cells that are much easier to find as they are used in most of our television remote controllers and have a lot of other common uses. I am not sure if the newer type circuit board will just plug-in to the older model CM162e match pistol?

The latest CM200ie match pistol has a circuit board that runs on 3volts and needs a CR2 battery - another change of power supply!

I know even less about your CM84e LBP rim fire .22 LR Free Pistol - but I am guessing that they also updated the circuit board on their Free Pistol at the same time (?) and that newer models would probably use a pair of AAA batteries or a CR2 .......or maybe they have gone for rechargeable batteries like the Walther system?

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I think the only difference's between your Morini CM 162e match air pistol and the newer CB162ei model is the removable air cylinder, and the different circuit board that requires a different 15volt battery.

The CM162ei uses two AAA cells that are much easier to find as they are used in most of our television remote controllers and have a lot of other common uses. I am not sure if the newer type circuit board will just plug-in to the older model CM162e match pistol?

The latest CM200ie match pistol has a circuit board that runs on 3volts and needs a CR2 battery - another change of power supply!

I know even less about your CM84e LBP rim fire .22 LR Free Pistol - but I am guessing that they also updated the circuit board on their Free Pistol at the same time (?) and that newer models would probably use a pair of AAA batteries or a CR2 .......or maybe they have gone for rechargeable batteries like the Walther system?
    Yes I believe the cylinder and circuit are the only difference between the 162e and 162ei. The odd battery isn5 a big deal as I’ve fever had difficulty getting one and the seem to last for ages (at least with the amount I use them).

I think the circuit in the free pistol is very similar to the 162e, I don’t think they are interchangeable though. I don’t think they’ve changed the power supply in these, the website still lists the 15v battery. I’m not sure if they still make a uk LBP variant now, there certainly aren’t many about.

Are there any significant upgrades between the 162 and 200 models you’re aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by DrGunn View Post
    Yes I believe the cylinder and circuit are the only difference between the 162e and 162ei. The odd battery isn5 a big deal as I’ve fever had difficulty getting one and the seem to last for ages (at least with the amount I use them).

I think the circuit in the free pistol is very similar to the 162e, I don’t think they are interchangeable though. I don’t think they’ve changed the power supply in these, the website still lists the 15v battery. I’m not sure if they still make a uk LBP variant now, there certainly aren’t many about.

Are there any significant upgrades between the 162 and 200 models you’re aware of?
    This link may help:-

https://www.morini.ch/products/cm-200ei/

It gives the full spec and details.....along with some very nice pictures

Stay safe,

Bob.

We have just found out this afternoon that the new orange and gold air cylinders for the 200ei are about 1/2" shorter than the red and blue ones that come with the 162ei.

This may help to explain the fewer shots per fill that has been reported by current 200ei owners.

As long as the cylinders still fit the same (same screw thread etc) then fitting one of the new colour cylinders to a 162ei would not be a problem, although it will be shorter and hold less air.

Fitting a 162ei cylinder to a 200ei may not be so good (assuming the same screw thread etc allow it to be screwed-on) as it will be longer than the end of the muzzle, and those that want to take part in any competitions with their new 200ei will have to use the shorter cylinder to ensure that it will still fit inside the "weapons control" box.

"not a lot of people know that"..

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post

"not a lot of people know that"..
    " Thats because not a lot of people care".
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I love my morini 200, though did like my older 162 (long version).

It seems better balanced, the trigger appears more precise and the action quicker - though I have no way to give comparison figures.

It does appear to use more air, but it has a shorter cylinder however as it comes with two cylinders the lower shot count doesn't bother me.

If you have any questions please ask and I'll try to answer them.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I love my morini 200, though did like my older 162 (long version).

It seems better balanced, the trigger appears more precise and the action quicker - though I have no way to give comparison figures.

It does appear to use more air, but it has a shorter cylinder however as it comes with two cylinders the lower shot count doesn't bother me.

If you have any questions please ask and I'll try to answer them.

Matt
    Thanks Matt,

I was able to shoot a 200ei last night - and it was noticeably different in weight and balance to my 162ei.

Although at first glance the pistol shows its strong Morini heritage, but immediately it is picked-up it feels like a totally different air pistol - very much lighter in weight and with a very different balance.

The air cylinder is shorter because the barrel is shorter, and the use of carbon fibre has contributed to the weight saving.

Apparently the electronic trigger is derived from the current Morini Free Pistol and does feel different to the 162ei electronic trigger - maybe faster and more precise as you suggest.

The sights have been given the same "sight radius" as the 162ei by extending it over the rear of the grip (like on the short 162ei).

I was able to shoot the 200ei pistol for 3 hours last night and I only briefly shot my 162ei Titan now and again by way of a direct comparison, so it was a really informative evening that enabled me to find out for myself just how different this new Morini match pistol is from any of its predecessors.

Stay safe,

Bob.
    Last edited by zooma; 24-09-2021 at 03:48 PM. Reason: spellin mistook

I have now been able to try fitting the new shorter Morini 200ei air cylinders to some Morini 162ei and Titan 162ei air pistols and the threads are exactly the same so there is no problem swapping the old and new cylinders between them all.

What may be a problem is that when the longer cylinders from the standard 162ei models are fitted to the new 200ei pistol, the cylinders are longer than the barrel and protrude past the muzzle break.

This does not really make much noticeable difference to the balance of the 200ei pistol and it would be OK for practising and informal shooting, but it would probably cause a problem if the pistol was to be submitted to weapons control at a match as it may not fit inside the control box without replacing the longer cylinder with the original shorter 200ei air cylinder.

When fitted on a standard length 162ei the shorter 200ei cylinders should not cause any problems at all - and the new colours actually look really nice on the Titan and the 162ei pistols, and from what I have seen so far, there should be enough air in these shorter cylinders to allow the completion of a full ISU competition without running out.

I have been advised that the new gold and orange coloured cylinders are only currently available in the shorter 200ei length, but they are available not only with the digital manometer (as supplied with new 200ei match pistols) but also with the analogue manometers at a more affordable price!

Presumably the limited edition purple 200ei cylinders will only be available in the new shorter length (?), but the limited edition 200ei Titan pistols have the same colour cylinders as the 162ei Titan match pistols so both lengths of cylinder should be available in the titanium colour.

Maybe in the future all colours will become available in both lengths of air cylinders mentioned here.

I do not have a short 162ei match pistol so I cannot make any observations about the cylinder length used on them, but perhaps they are the same length as the new 200ei (?) and if so, that would give access to owners of these pistols to all of the colours used on the 200ei cylinders.