Thread: Very early Webley Mk1

Very early Webley Mk1

For those of you Webley pistol lovers/experts who also frequent the other forum, a guy has popped up today on there seeking advice, info and (good luck to him….) spares for a very early Mk1 (3-digit serial, spring clip). I’m sure he’d appreciate it if you could pop over and give him better advice and info than I can.

The owner of said pistol had already been in touch with my Webley friend at HO, who in turn phoned me yesterday, but he had only sent one picture of the right side of the pistol, so no serial number was visible.
    He had described the pistol's condition quite accurately, but without more pictures, such as those now shown on the AGF, it was impossible to give realistic advice as to value, which was the gist of his request to my friend.
    Good advice is being given by others on the AGF regarding repairs and restoration, so it seems unnecessary for me to join in the conversation, as I couldn't really add anything further, although I would think a skilled metalworker could fabricate a replacement spring clip using the remaining original as a pattern, and as for the barrel, good luck with that.

Interesting.
    another poster has put up pnotos of a very late tinplate junior. Serial no above 30000 and Birmingham 4 marked. There can not have been many of them made and I wonder if this variation of Junior is actually a rarer item than the spring clip MKIs.
    Your comments would be greatly apreciated David, if only on here for my benefit. Please?

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Interesting.
    another poster has put up pnotos of a very late tinplate junior. Serial no above 30000 and Birmingham 4 marked. There can not have been many of them made and I wonder if this variation of Junior is actually a rarer item than the spring clip MKIs.
    Your comments would be greatly apreciated David, if only on here for my benefit. Please?
    I have never seen an original tin plate junior with the finish shown in the photographs, and I have had a few, although none in that late serial number range.
    The condition of the box does not match the condition of the pistol, so in my opinion the originality of the finish could be in doubt. The finish is more akin to that applied by Webley to some of the pistols they refurbished for me in the eighties, and even then it appears to be a much deeper black, particularly to the grips which I have never seen in that finish, and I have two sets in my spares drawer.
    I have had a few of that particular style of box but have never seen that sticker, so that is a nice find.
    Last edited by Troubledshooter; 14-09-2021 at 12:45 AM.

The shortened barrel and markings including Birmingham 4 are correct for a Junior in the J30*** range. I know of several and my own example also has a gloss black finish, which I've never been entirely convinced is original. The highest Junior serial numbers known to me are in the J34*** range but the weird thing is none are known between the mid J30***s and J34***.

Webley released a number of 'Anniversary' models to celebrate their 150th Anniversary in 1940 and marked the boxes by adding a sticker. I also have a boxed Mark 1 with such a sticker and have yet to find a boxed Senior with the sticker, albeit I am satisfied the latter do exist.

Kind regards,

John M
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

One of our members on the Facebk. Vintage Webley airpistols page also turned up with an early Mk1 spring clip pistol. He will probably pop in later to demonstrate his incredible heirloom. Hopefully you knowledgeable gents can shed some more light on this piece!
    Collection: vintage air pistols & air rifles / vintage air gun accessories
    Facebook groups: vintage air guns 1. Webley, 2 BSA, 3. Haenel, 4. Weihrauch, 5. Diana

Webley mark 1 spring clip

Hello all, I am that man with the Webley spring clip. Firstly I would like to thank you for your good luck. Secondly how do you add pictures on this site? I am happy to share pictures etc about the Webley. As stated elsewhere the pistol was my fathers and it has been in his possession from the mid 50’s. It has never had any work done on it in his life. Prior to his ownership we have no knowledge. He believes his elder brother gave it to him. He can remember shooting partridge with it on the Welsh hills for food. The grips have been removed and barrel and rear sight by myself and all screws came out easily and without damage. We know the barrel is post war and incorrect. The left spring clip is a replacement and incorrect.
    The gun is a family piece and is not for sale and probably will never be for sale.
    I have given it a very light cleaning with 0000 gauge wire wool with Parker Hale 303 gun oil. I would like to remove the piston and spring and have been given the instructions on how best to do so. Getting the washer off the piston (if it is needed) will be another issue that will need addressing.
    It would be nice to get the pistol in working condition. Having a spring clip made should not be a problem. My main dilemma is the barrel. When I get the pictures up you will see that the barrel on it is turned down to a smaller diameter than the rest of the barrel at the breech end and will never be held properly by the spring clips. Do I make an interference fit collar for that barrel or get a replacement barrel that would work better? Is the current barrel of value?
    I would also like to know how many mark 1 spring clip pistols there are about?
    Help getting the pictures up would be a great help.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Davies View Post
    Hello all, I am that man with the Webley spring clip. Firstly I would like to thank you for your good luck. Secondly how do you add pictures on this site? I am happy to share pictures etc about the Webley. As stated elsewhere the pistol was my fathers and it has been in his possession from the mid 50’s. It has never had any work done on it in his life. Prior to his ownership we have no knowledge. He believes his elder brother gave it to him. He can remember shooting partridge with it on the Welsh hills for food. The grips have been removed and barrel and rear sight by myself and all screws came out easily and without damage. We know the barrel is post war and incorrect. The left spring clip is a replacement and incorrect.
    The gun is a family piece and is not for sale and probably will never be for sale.
    I have given it a very light cleaning with 0000 gauge wire wool with Parker Hale 303 gun oil. I would like to remove the piston and spring and have been given the instructions on how best to do so. Getting the washer off the piston (if it is needed) will be another issue that will need addressing.
    It would be nice to get the pistol in working condition. Having a spring clip made should not be a problem. My main dilemma is the barrel. When I get the pictures up you will see that the barrel on it is turned down to a smaller diameter than the rest of the barrel at the breech end and will never be held properly by the spring clips. Do I make an interference fit collar for that barrel or get a replacement barrel that would work better? Is the current barrel of value?
    I would also like to know how many mark 1 spring clip pistols there are about?
    Help getting the pictures up would be a great help.
    Russell I've already posted up your Mk1 pics in the gallery. If you have any more to add, just email them to me and I'll stick them up.

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....war/#post-6537
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Russell Davies

Hi Garvin I am having a great deal of problems uploading photos and emailing you, I can’t seem to find your email address.

I have PMd it to you, or go to the last page in this mag:

https://issuu.com/garvin3/docs/airgun_collector
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

If this isn’t the genuine barrel cut down I think there’s no chance of finding another.....
    Assuming I found the correct picture.....

Quote Originally Posted by archer24 View Post
    If this isn’t the genuine barrel cut down I think there’s no chance of finding another.....
    Assuming I found the correct picture.....
    Same barrel but different pistol. Serial numbers don't match, but they are very close. Can't see why the owner says the barrel is post WW2. Looks like a pre war barrel to me. Either shortened or off a slant grip model.