Thread: hawke scopes

hawke scopes

Hello , im after a cheaper, around £150 for a Ft/HFT scope, anyone have any advise ? thankyou

Yeah, don't buy a Hawke.
    Making waves since 1971.

FT or HFT the scopes aren't compatible. For FT it's usually high mag (x40 upwards) to help with range finding and large side wheels to fine tune the distances. In HFT most are using x10 or less, since there's no scope adjustment allowed.

Steve C.
    AirArms S400k L/H (.177)BTAS, tuned, AirArms S410k L/H (.177) walnut, BTAS tuned, AA MPR .177 L/H walnut (STOLEN) and...L/H EV2
    BASC

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
    FT or HFT the scopes aren't compatible. For FT it's usually high mag (x40 upwards) to help with range finding and large side wheels to fine tune the distances. In HFT most are using x10 or less, since there's no scope adjustment allowed.

Steve C.
    I'm with Steve, you need two different scopes in real life as they are very different comps to do.

As for Hawke, most people find them very good in the low to mid prices bracket, and their customer service is excellent, they will often repair/replace scopes or accessories out of warranty with no question, I've had them do it for me a couple of times. Once you start passing £500 or so, then there are other offerings, and the top end Hawkes just don't cut it in my eyes compared to the competition, but they are still not bad at the right price second hand

You will get away with a relatively cheap scope for HFT, something like a 4-12x44 would be a decent all rounder, but for FT your looking at several hundred pounds minimum even second hand for something half decent.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

There seems to be a tendency to go for rather low diameter scopes for HFT to get an increased depth of field. Then AO is used to even that out over the various ranges that are used. Some claim the amount of fuzz in the view can be used to range. IR may be a good idea due to variation in lighting. That too can only be set before people start shooting. I'd suspect pure mil dots might be the best option. Then the reticule is range calibrated for what ever mag some one wants to shoot at. Turrets on the scope can't be adjusted either.

The basic idea is to keep costs down. Considering what is actually needed it could but ..

If you look around at cheap scopes that meet the basic needs you will probably find items like a 2-7x32 but wonder if that is a high enough magnification. Pass no experience but when I did hunt 7x wouldn't be out of the question, In fact it's what I did use when I switched from 4x32.

FT is entirely different but how high a magnification is really needed to range accurately enough with parallax. The rather high mag is only usually used for ranging or bench rest. Might be best to go for a scope with target turrets as well. Side focus and a side wheel will be needed.

A 10x42 Viper could do both at a push to begin with.
    Not ideal for FT.. but it is a start until or if you get more serious.
    Plus you won't lose out if you buy s/h and move it on if you do.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreengrass View Post
    A 10x42 Viper could do both at a push to begin with.
    Not ideal for FT.. but it is a start until or if you get more serious.
    Plus you won't lose out if you buy s/h and move it on if you do.
    I'm afraid I have to disagree with this one, this scope is nothing like suitable for FT, even for a start, your wasting your time on that front
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired