Thread: HW97KT v TX200HC

HW97KT v TX200HC

After using both vanilla from the box, have to say the TX is a lot sweeter to shoot. Am getting the the 97 tuned to remove the awful twang and ft/lb inconsistency.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    I had the exact opposite experience to you.
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I had the exact opposite experience to you.
    me to, i much prefer the hw's , my tx200 has been back in its box for 2 years and only been used twice
    BSA SUPERSPORT .22
    Ripley ar5s .177
    Steyr challenge hft 177 SYWELL FT CLUB

All down to personal taste, I suppose, but I also prefer all of my 77s and 97s to my TXHC.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Tx200

The TX200 full length .177 is my favourite benchrest and target shooting springer.
    With a CS1000 stock and Falcon T50 fitted, it weighs a ton but..is extremely accurate, rock solid on the bench and a pleasure to shoot with a very nice trigger indeed.
    I had the HC in .22 but never really bonded with it and sold it and a 97k in .177 to buy a HFT500.
    Could have kept the 97, but went for the TX upgrade.
    Last edited by MrGreengrass; 18-09-2021 at 10:48 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Interesting experiences! My TX delivers a beautifully dull thud and the rifle hardly moves on firing, yet the 97 is harsh, highly variable FPS-wise and unsettling to shoot…

A few years I tried a TX-hc at the club and liked it so much that I bought a nice used one and really enjoyed it.
    I later decided that I also wanted a 97. When I bought the used 97 I put a TbT Maxi kit in it and Blackmax tuned the Rekord trigger for me. Ever since then I found the 97 to do everything I could expect from an underlever but when I returned to the TX, even though it felt as good as the 97 I couldn't shoot it as well. I'm pretty sure it was psychological but I ended up selling the TX a while ago and I still find the 97 to be fantastic.

I find the TX ti be better suited to "tuning" IF you want to change stroke and experiment with different pistons etc.
    But I also find the HW97/77 to be easier to just get good behaviour from if you just want to change springs/seals/guides and not play around with stroke etc.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by C3PO_1 View Post
    Interesting experiences! My TX delivers a beautifully dull thud and the rifle hardly moves on firing, yet the 97 is harsh, highly variable FPS-wise and unsettling to shoot…
    I've had two of each, both bought new and I completely agree with C3PO as that has also been my experience.
    There's no doubt the Tx is the nicer of the two 'out of the box.'

I've had several versions of both and the TX is definitely sweeter out of the box.

But with a TinBum kit in the 97 there's very little difference and I prefer the Rekord trigger on the 97.

I still have a 97 but my TXs are long gone.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    All down to personal taste, I suppose, but I also prefer all of my 77s and 97s to my TXHC.
    You are right Tony it's personal taste, but the Tx especially the HC has more features than the 77/97 like central TP, piston rings,ABT, a cocking shoe and you can fit a silencer if you don't want to annoy the neighbors

this is a hard one had bothe but my 97kt id say was just a little better

The TX is a stunner for sure and 'maybe' it has superior engineered features but of the two, I prefer the workmanlike nature of the 97. I can shoot better with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    You are right Tony it's personal taste, but the Tx especially the HC has more features than the 77/97 like central TP, piston rings,ABT, a cocking shoe and you can fit a silencer if you don't want to annoy the neighbors
    Quote Originally Posted by alexall View Post
    The TX is a stunner for sure and 'maybe' it has superior engineered features but of the two, I prefer the workmanlike nature of the 97. I can shoot better with them.
    One couldn't knock the TX, for sure. In many polls it would probably edge the 77/97. And, for the UK shooters, it's British.

Feature for feature it's in front..

The central TP has to be a good thing for efficiency.
    The synthetic piston rings good too.
    ABT.....on the first few I tried I did find it fiddly. But you get used to it and it, also, has to be a good thing.
    The cocking shoe is a nice touch. And there has been the very odd report of this area being compromised on the odd 77/97.
    The rifle is easier to strip / work on, too (although the HW's not exactly hard to work on) although I sometimes question whether this may have led to some bad tinkerings due to this very same ease?

There have sometimes been the odd negative comment steered towards the trigger block being able to "rock" slightly on the TX if the fit / clearances aren't correct and I prefer the HW arrangement.
    Also, that highly polished metal and bluing, often touted as such a positive, doesn't do it for me. It somehow feels "cheaper" if that can seem right?
    And, TO ME, the rifle feels "clankier" than the HW.

All personal observations, really. And, as said, the TX probably has as many fans, especially in the HFT / FT arena. But I do prefer my HWs, possibly mostly down to that intangible quality of tactility and "feel"?

I won't be selling my TX, though, and the rifle commands respect.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!