Thread: Air rifle charging bottle?

Air rifle charging bottle?

I've been left a air rifle charging bottle by the widow of a lately deceased air rifle shooter.
    I know very little of modern air rifle shooting and charging, would the bottle have to be charged and certified before selling? or can it be sold as it is?
    It has a valve and connector lead.

Thanks for any info.
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U

Quote Originally Posted by CROWMAN View Post
    I've been left a air rifle charging bottle by the widow of a lately deceased air rifle shooter.
    I know very little of modern air rifle shooting and charging, would the bottle have to be charged and certified before selling? or can it be sold as it is?

Thanks for any info.
    Hi, it can indeed be sold simply as "out of test". There will be a label on the bottle with the month and year indicating as to when the test expired.

Bear in mind though that an out of test bottle has a fraction of the value of one with full test.

A new test will probably increase the value but will cost around £50, the type of valve currently fitted also effects the value as does the cylinder working pressure.

There's a whole lot of info stamped in to the shoulder look for WP & TP should be the bottom line, that's working pressure & test pressure,
    WP is the important bit, 230bar or 300bar, the middle line has the weight & volume in ltrs, the top line is the BS no, manufacturer & date it was first tested by the manufacturer.

Then there should be a test date this might be a sticky label with a month & year highlighted, when the next test is due.

Valve type, the bit that actually screws in to the cylinder if it has a gauge & bleed screw built in as part of the valve itself it's a "surface valve" designed for shooters,
    Cylinders for divers have a simple open/close valve that requires a charging adaptor to screw in to it.

photo's are the easiest way for us to help with ID.
    Last edited by angrybear; 14-09-2021 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CROWMAN View Post

Thanks for any info.
    If your not sure pop over to caerphilly, There is a dive shop called remar, They can tell you and test it for about £32 if its needed.

Air bottle.

Thanks to all for very useful info replies.
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    It's worth from zero to about £150 ish at a guess, but as above, to get anything worth while all your stars will have to align, so get some close up pictures of all the writing round the shoulder, the current stickers on it, and a couple of full cylinder shots and we will be able to give you a pretty accurate valuation
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Air bottle.

I've checked the bottle and the following details are stamped on the shoulder.

I'll try to put some photo's on if I can too.

There is no label on the bottle re expiry date, I think that the previous owner did not use the bottle for some time.

Stampings on bottle are:

TOP LINE: FABER 88/9239 068 M25 X 2 ISO AQUA - LUNG/ MDE

BOTTOM LINE: TP 5045/1 CM/S TP 348 BAR 01.98 R OP28 2 BAR 15 degree C

12.2L WT 13.6Kg

Can any one help with if it is saleable? If yes? I'll take it to Caerphilly, as posted kindly by 'Mad Carlos' and get it charged.

A then resale estimated price would be helpful too.

Thanks for any/all replies.

It sounds like a 12lt bottle made in 1988 --the date stamp for the test date should be around the shoulder od the bottle and is sometimes painted with yellow -red-black paint so it stands out --it might be that its never been tested--I would take to your nearest place that test's them and fill's them and have it looked at--as for a price to sell it not a great amount really it sounds like its going to be A 232 Bar bottle even one usually gets a 300 bar bottle now --so I would expect you still to get around £80-£100 for it with a full test --but that might cost you around £32-£40

Air bottle.

Thanks for the info, it gives me a better idea of what to do.

Cheers

What does the valve look like ? with the name "Aqua-lung" I fear it's a dive valve which means it need's testing every 30 months, not the 5 years of a surface valve.

If it's 230bar SWP with a 348bar TP it knocks down the value because there are so few fill's to max pressure, if it's also got a dive valve that really hurts it's value.
    If not tested for a long time it will need a full hydrostatic test, that probably means dropping it off & collecting a week later,
    so add the cost of fuel there & back twice, plus parking, to the cost of the test & you might be better selling as is for £25.

Does the bottle have a gauge attached to the valve?
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

hopefully it will go through a test