Thread: Crossover scope mounts.

Crossover scope mounts.

After some diabetic eye laser procedure, my right eye isn't what it was. I'm not blind, but my left eye is far better. Are there any scope mounts to allow me to shoot right handed but use my left eye ?

Yes.
    Not very useful though. Once zeroed to 25yds any other distance the windage is way off.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    Yes.
    Not very useful though. Once zeroed to 25yds any other distance the windage is way off.
    yes and no... say the scope mount is 1" to the left of centre. if you zero such that the pellet strikes 1" to the right of centre, it travelling parallel to the line of sight, then it will alwys be 1" right of centre regardless of range. just remeber to aim 1" left.

if you zero for dead on at say 25 yards, ir will be 1" left at 50, and 1/2" right at 12, which is tricky.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

I sold a pair of 'high' mounts to a chap on here a few years ago. We got chatting and he said he shot right handed but had lost the sight in his right eye. The high mounts enabled him to roll his head slightly on the cheek piece which then brought his left eye in line with the scope.
    Could be worth a try.
    Failing that. You need a cross over stock not cross over mounts.
    Regards Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    yes and no... say the scope mount is 1" to the left of centre. if you zero such that the pellet strikes 1" to the right of centre, it travelling parallel to the line of sight, then it will alwys be 1" right of centre regardless of range. just remeber to aim 1" left.

if you zero for dead on at say 25 yards, ir will be 1" left at 50, and 1/2" right at 12, which is tricky.
    Many older sniper rifles (WW1 LEs, Garands) used offset sights, as did top-loading weapons like the Bren and Owen guns. So it can be made to work.

It may also be possible to concoct a prismatic device that facilitates use of the left eye.

[Cross over stock ?

url=https://ibb.co/MZrCkNn][/url]

[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Many older sniper rifles (WW1 LEs, Garands) used offset sights, as did top-loading weapons like the Bren and Owen guns. So it can be made to work.

It may also be possible to concoct a prismatic device that facilitates use of the left eye.

Like this ?
    https://www.intershoot.co.uk/acatalo...Swap-1140.html

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Exactly. Though that contraption is for 10M match diopters. I don’t know if something similar exists for telescope sights.

Other options would of course include shifting to shooting from the weak shoulder, a crossover stock as above, or shooting a pistol (where it is much easier to shoot right handed/left eye).

Quote Originally Posted by where's it gone View Post
    After some diabetic eye laser procedure, my right eye isn't what it was. I'm not blind, but my left eye is far better. Are there any scope mounts to allow me to shoot right handed but use my left eye ?
    Given the replies to your dilemma, had you thought about going left handed ?

Or go pcp and adjust the stock/cheek piece so you can get your head far enough over to use your left eye.

Not sure if this would work on a springer cutting the cheek piece out but where there's a will there's a way
    Hw77+7

May not be ideal but what about a scope cam and the phone becomes your eye piece ? The scope would need to be mounted further forward . The phone on the side of your good eye.

Or a DIY NV camera and monitor . Monitor on the side your good eye is . With this the monitor could be mounted at turrets level.

Another option possibly . Side mounts the the scope using normal mounts to the side mount. Side weaver rail here https://www.amazon.com/Profile-Tacti.../dp/B006P521PQ

Last edited by bighit; 14-09-2021 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by benchstop View Post
    I sold a pair of 'high' mounts to a chap on here a few years ago. We got chatting and he said he shot right handed but had lost the sight in his right eye. The high mounts enabled him to roll his head slightly on the cheek piece which then brought his left eye in line with the scope.
    Could be worth a try.
    Failing that. You need a cross over stock not cross over mounts.
    Regards Mike
    Many years ago I had a dedicated NV unit with a very high built in mount, I found it impossible to shoot it right eye, so used to roll my head over the stock & shoot left eye.

Quote Originally Posted by where's it gone View Post
    Sorry to hear about your eye.

Unless you shoot at one distance only, using an offset mount will just sour the shooting experience.

So as I see it there are a few options
    Crossover stock - dig deep as it will probably cost the same as a couple of stocks.
    Shoot left handed
    Explore whether reading glasses for your right eye, may help you shoot. Maybe a quids worth of readers with the left lens popped out, would work at a particular magnification
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your eye.

Unless you shoot at one distance only, using an offset mount will just sour the shooting experience.

So as I see it
    I take it 'no pun intended '

Cross over stock.

From someone who spent months trying to buy - then make a crossover stock, don't waste your time and money.

Bite the bullet - get a cheap 2nd hand left handed stock for whatever air-rifle you have.

Modify it to fit you - whatever is needed, It doesn't matter if it is in primer or has filler everywhere.

Just get it to fit you absolutely spot on.

Then the good bit. Get into a left handed shooting position and maintain that position for around 10 minutes, rest for 10 mins and then back to position again. You have to train your muscles to the new regime.

Oh and consider this - you decide to have a crossover stock built - get it all sorted and then - Oh Dear, what are you going to use as a gun bag? A specially commissioned Aim 100? if they do them.

It took me about 3 months to get my body/muscles used to shooting left handed. Haven't looked back since.

Mark.