Thread: Webley Mk3 values these days

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Can't agree with that bit, I have shot Supertargets and ordinary ones, that are smooth, quiet and tackdrivers...not powerhouses but there was a reason they were a go to Bell target rifle in their day, when the main opposition was the Airsporter Club.

As I recall my mates was very accurate, but did not like our league control pellet the AA Field.......Will do a test if I get it and post some photos.

As with prewar BSA's practise with the trigger is needed as heavier than a German jobby, but a good one breaks like glass (as does a BSA with work).

ATB, ED
    I agree Ed. The early 3rd series had the best triggers IMHO, which I prefer to the double pull as I find the latter spongy. The worst were the sintered units used ironically on the Supertarget. If anything, the Mark 3 was possibly oversprung and I have one that I keep meaning to fit with a lighter or cut down spring to make it shoot sweeter. I used an aperture sighted fluted stock model in the Muscle Power league a few years ago and was very pleased with her match performance.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Values

Having just watched the Holt's auction today the prices paid for MK3s will have to be reconsidered as the results could be considered to be spectacular.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by oldcurmudgeon View Post
    Having just watched the Holt's auction today the prices paid for MK3s will have to be reconsidered as the results could be considered to be spectacular.
    Spectacularly high or low?

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Very high

The Webley MKIII is a really beautiful rifle.
    It has some really lovely open sights, and best shot that way.
    The bell target ones even nicer.
    They shoot perfectly well at bell target and within the farm yard; they are just not a HW77.
    There are plenty about, but few in superb condition.

So whats not to like? Condition is everything and the better ones will demand hansom prices. Others just healthy prices.
    I don't think prices have changed that much and just depends on the market that minute, or the sales room enthusiasm. A nice one should be under £200, and a superb one £300, all +/- £30. They aren't £650 rifles. People just love them, and for very good reason. I sold my father's 40 years ago to get a FWB Sport, and for good reason too.

£900 hammer price wasn't it........

What was good about the example. Or was it two people just getting over excited?