Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Webley Mk3 values these days

The Webley MKIII is a really beautiful rifle.
    It has some really lovely open sights, and best shot that way.
    The bell target ones even nicer.
    They shoot perfectly well at bell target and within the farm yard; they are just not a HW77.
    There are plenty about, but few in superb condition.

So whats not to like? Condition is everything and the better ones will demand hansom prices. Others just healthy prices.
    I don't think prices have changed that much and just depends on the market that minute, or the sales room enthusiasm. A nice one should be under £200, and a superb one £300, all +/- £30. They aren't £650 rifles. People just love them, and for very good reason. I sold my father's 40 years ago to get a FWB Sport, and for good reason too.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I just paid £300 for this one with a BSA Cadet Major thrown in!!

I'm over the moon to have it too!! (Both!!)

John
    That is a beauty, lovely stock and incidentally, is that a Gunny watch strap on your wrist ?
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    That is a beauty, lovely stock and incidentally, is that a Gunny watch strap on your wrist ?

Cheers vbull, I love the mk3!!

Had to google Gunny straps!!, It's just a cheapo off fleabay, Most likely from China but they're comfy!, It's on a limited edition (009/100) Panther auto wristwatch

My other mk3's, My fave Webbo's!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

£900 hammer price wasn't it........

What was good about the example. Or was it two people just getting over excited?

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    Standard Mk3's seem to go for about £150. There are an awful lot around. I noticed a good number in the Acle auction and they seem to come up with great regularity on other auction sites. They are lovely things, but pretty naff as shooters tbh. Most bought for collectability and looks I think these days. Needs to be unusual to fetch a higher price.

Same with 'bog std' Webley pistols, once again their durability tells against them.
    In my early 20’s I had a minty 177 Mk3 with the folding Parker Hale 16m rearsight, that would effortlessly hit small targets up to about 35 yards away with incredible ease and repeatability. I think Mk3’s are generally accurate rifles. They could have done with an extra inch of swept volume. I sold it to my mate, to help fund a holiday with a new girlfriend and he still has it, nearly 30 years later ��
    Last edited by silva; 22-09-2021 at 01:51 AM.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    In my early 20’s I had a minty 177 Mk3 with the folding Parker Hale 16m rearsight, that would effortlessly hit small targets up to about 35 yards away with incredible ease and repeatability. I think Mk3’s are generally accurate rifles. They could have done with an extra inch of swept volume. I sold it to my mate, to help fund a holiday with a new girlfriend and he still has it, nearly 30 years later ��
    What happened to the girl friend.

edbear2 Guest
    Got the rifle last night, It was bought to do bell, but did not like our control pellet. It's the first time I have seen it in daylight as was before at a winter league night, so have taken plenty of photos. Serial is B824 and the rifle has done very little, it is a really tight example mechanically, the cocking arm stays where it is when unlatched and has light drag all the way down as cocked and absolutely zero side play, when cocked if you close the tap and hold the lever and pull the trigger, the lever stays where it is until you open the tap where it whistles as the lever slowly closes, so a good seal, tap action as well has drag and is as good as I have seen, I suppose you could say "like new" but zero lash and slight drag tight feel of a new one is the best description.

Shooting at 620-630 FPS with Webley Specials and Wasps, and one holes at 10 yards. Metalwork is 90% plus, lovely dark blue. Stock is generally very good with no signs of cracks in the normal places.

Niggles / detractions;

Some little honest marks and dinks on stock, stock medallion lettering has been wiped clean (medallion is slightly proud of wood, I am sure it has not been re-finished), trigger screw and tap screw heads marked from screwdrivers, light marks on barrel LHS of rear sight from adjustment, and bigger but neat mark from the same to front of sight dovetail.

Rubber thin pad glued to butt for some reason, a shame but could be unstuck.

Scope rail welds are secure, but rear of rail slightly up with two marks on too.

General impression is nice and could be improved cosmetically, as mentioned, the metalwork and action are very crisp and it's shooting really good with no sign of real use.

Rifle will come with 1 off near full tin of Wasps (2002 Eley) and one off tinf of Webely Specials (Green tin with token) and one off Black tin (empty with token), plus Nylon lined slip.

Photos and video of tap here;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/312284...57719894720338

Any more ideas on value now seen before I get back to the owner please?

ATB, Ed
    Last edited by edbear2; 24-09-2021 at 11:36 AM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Got the rifle last night, It was bought to do bell, but did not like our control pellet. It's the first time I have seen it in daylight as was before at a winter league night, so have taken plenty of photos. Serial is B824 and the rifle has done very little, it is a really tight example mechanically, the cocking arm stays where it is when unlatched and has light drag all the way down as cocked and absolutely zero side play, when cocked if you close the tap and hold the lever and pull the trigger, the lever stays where it is until you open the tap where it whistles as the lever slowly closes, so a good seal, tap action as well has drag and is as good as I have seen, I suppose you could say "like new" but zero lash and slight drag tight feel of a new one is the best description.

Shooting at 620-630 FPS with Webley Specials and Wasps, and one holes at 10 yards. Metalwork is 90% plus, lovely dark blue. Stock is generally very good with no signs of cracks in the normal places.

Niggles / detractions;

Some little honest marks and dinks on stock, stock medallion lettering has been wiped clean (medallion is slightly proud of wood, I am sure it has not been re-finished), trigger screw and tap screw heads marked from screwdrivers, light marks on barrel LHS of rear sight from adjustment, and bigger but neat mark from the same to front of sight dovetail.

Scope rail welds are secure, but rear of rail slightly up with two marks on too.

General impression is nice and could be improved cosmetically, as mentioned, the metalwork and action are very crisp and it's shooting really good with no sign of real use.

Rifle will come with 1 off near full tin of Wasps (2002 Eley) and one off tinf of Webely Specials (Green tin with token) and one off Black tin (empty with token), plus Nylon lined slip.

ATB, Ed
    WOWSER!!

That's a beauty Ed

These are such well made guns, I read somewhere that they cost more to make than they were charging for them, It seems believable to me that it's why they stopped production!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Did I say how excellent the iron sights are? One of the best, and a real joy. If I bought another then it would be for the sights.
    Absolutely they are beautifully made and the bluing lovely and deep. Make BSF's look average.

Baz, love the watch. The original strap was brown? Or you had a brown one on as seen on Flicker. Are they still available somewhere?

Niggles / detractions;

ATB, Ed

To answer your question, Ed : It's a late model with the sintered bits and not- great scope rail with a few bruises on the barrel. However..
    It's a really good shooter and it's .177 , it's in nice nick and the stock and bluing are great !
    Value ? Sticking the neck out here, but I'd say £160 to £175

Atb
    Mark

Niggles / detractions;

ATB, Ed
    What a lovely looking rifle which seems to have been well cared for.
    I have always been a mk3 fan since I bought my first one, second-hand with ribbed stock for £9 in 1960, and still have it!
    Aubrey

Hi all
    I seem to remember from an earlier post that a B prefix denoted a supertarget ?
    I may be wrong best ask bellringer ! He dated mine to 8 april 1971 not a supertarget
    also a 177 but it's in a really early stock no 2334 (from memory).so fluted on side with correct early button.
    Cheers ian