Thread: Bsa breakdown pattern rear sight plate & wheel is all i need to save a gun

Bsa breakdown pattern rear sight plate & wheel is all i need to save a gun

Few days ago I asked for a valuation on a BSA Breakdown Pattern Rifle which at the time I thought was evenly pitted throughout but after a gentle rub with rust removing swarf I've found that the pitting is not deep and that I've exposed a nice even brown/grey patina so have decided to renovate it. The only thing missing is the rear sight plate and adjuster wheel which I'm guessing is going to be hard to find so if anyone knows where I could try apart from Knibbs please give me a shout. I've placed a water ad on here.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Try the bay of evil they sometimes come up on there.

Does the BSA Breakdown pattern rear sight have a two part adjuster wheel with an internal stabilising spring or is it based on the earlier basic adjusting wheel controlling a rear sight blade that can float up and down ?

And whilst its an impolite question, are you looking to spend £20 on mending your particular item or closer to the "guestimate on my part" of £50 that it's a possibility that it might cost you in total. The problem is from my point of view that the missing bits are those that many others have also lost and are similarly looking for.

I believe that Repro parts are available, would these be ok ?

JMHO, Vic Thompson.

Hi Vic, I’m not sure about the structure of the wheel assembly, maybe an expert on here could step in and answer, as for cost, £20 would be better than £50.. A repro part would do just fine.

The rearsight adjusting wheel is a solid one piece part on the breakdown. The wheel which is in two parts with the central spring loaded plunger came in with the postwar Cadet Major, and Airsporter Mk1's. You do see a lot of earlier BSA's which have had this sight added at some point, but it is not right for pre-war guns.

See here for some good images

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....ern-1933-1939/

The adjusting wheel showing on rifle s/n B2528 is the wrong wheel (from a later Cadet Major or Airsporter Mk1 ) as it has the hole in the centre for the spring loaded plunger.

Lakey

Thanks for the help here. Vic, any idea where I could try for repro parts ?

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    Thanks for the help here. Vic, any idea where I could try for repro parts ?
    Protek often get bits in, if you tell them you need one I am sure something will turn up eventually, plus they do inserts;

http://www.proteksupplies.co.uk/bsa-...jor-parts.html

ATB, Ed

Thanks to Maple on here I'll soon have an original wheel, just need the leaf/plate now.