Thread: BSA R10 Options

BSA R10 Options

Good evening all,
    Looking to get a second hand BSA R10. From what I've read, there were some issues with the Mk1, so I'm looking for a newer model. This would give me the mk2, the SE, and the TH. There seems to be a jump in price between the SE and the TH, is it worth saving up the extra pennies?

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    BSA basically lied about updating the regs on these, so the regs in the latest ones are as crap as the regs in the early ones, which means for the vast majority of R10s, they will fail, if not soon, then later on, it's a numbers game with these rifles.

In saying that, once the regs are sorted - not by BSA of course, then they are no more trouble than any other PCP, and generally give good service.

So buy the latest and nicest based on looks and condition, but most of all, get one a bit cheaper if it's got a standard reg, or pay a touch more for a gun which has been sorted by a respected tuner, or at least had a decent reg fitted to it.

Realistically, I'd be looking at around £550 max for a standard one, and around £600ish for a fettled one, they do come up at these prices, and the ones you see at £800 always "go back in the cupboard"
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    BSA basically lied about updating the regs on these, so the regs in the latest ones are as crap as the regs in the early ones, which means for the vast majority of R10s, they will fail, if not soon, then later on, it's a numbers game with these rifles.

In saying that, once the regs are sorted - not by BSA of course, then they are no more trouble than any other PCP, and generally give good service.

So buy the latest and nicest based on looks and condition, but most of all, get one a bit cheaper if it's got a standard reg, or pay a touch more for a gun which has been sorted by a respected tuner, or at least had a decent reg fitted to it.

Realistically, I'd be looking at around £550 max for a standard one, and around £600ish for a fettled one, they do come up at these prices, and the ones you see at £800 always "go back in the cupboard"
    Agree with above, Source a used one thats been done,

Thank you. There does seem a lot on second hand sites going for the £800 - £900 mark, I guess it's a waiting game for the right one to come along.

There have been three slightly different designs of regs in the R10, I have an SE with the Mk3 reg, and it has been perfect all the time i have owned it.

Sorry dont have a pic of the original reg, but pretty similar to the Mk2.

agree with jesim on what hes said above

I am probably the only person who has owned an SE for the last four years with a std reg and had no problems with it, I have serviced and fettled it and its one of the few regs that can be externally adjusted up and down without causeing problems, i acuallt dont like Huma regs much as the sealing disc is suspect IMO, and i did brefly try one on my R10 and found it far less consistent then the std item,
    My R10 does have an SSG and a few other mods but i get les than 10fps ...mostly just 7fps and far more shots than most R10s and its acuracy eaquals my FTP900.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky-Ricky View Post
    I am probably the only person who has owned an SE for the last four years with a std reg and had no problems with it, I have serviced and fettled it and its one of the few regs that can be externally adjusted up and down without causeing problems, i acuallt dont like Huma regs much as the sealing disc is suspect IMO, and i did brefly try one on my R10 and found it far less consistent then the std item,
    My R10 does have an SSG and a few other mods but i get les than 10fps ...mostly just 7fps and far more shots than most R10s and its acuracy eaquals my FTP900.
    I’m probably only the second r10 owner that’s happy with the standard reg. I also like the fact you can externally adjust it. I won’t be swopping mine any time soon. Probably jinxed it now!