Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valuation for two BSA PCP's wanted

Valuation for two BSA PCP's wanted

As I'm not doing much (if any) shooting these days I might as well try and sell a couple of my rifles at least to make room if not for any other reason.

The two rifles are both BSA's and both have been advertised previously with little interest.

First up is my BSA R10 MK 2 Bull Barrel in 0.177 cal (owned from new). It's in gc generally but both of the sling swivel mounts have got a slight layer of rust on them, and annoyingly, the bolt has what I believe to be common failing on these guns, ie, a patch of rust on the bolt probe and oxidation on the bolt handle. TBMK the rifle is in gwo and comes with fill probe and one blue rotor mag, and will be offered for sale as is and I'd appreciate knowing a fair price to ask for it.

Secondly, is my BSA Goldstar SE (with red and blue fully adjustable laminated stock) in 0.177 cal. It's in gc all over and TBMK the rifle is in fwo and comes with fill probe and one blue rotor mag. Either way, this too will be offered for sale as is and I'd appreciate knowing a fair price to ask for it.

IMHO both items can be made to look "as new" with very little (if any) work required and both have given me reliable performance every time of use (and neither have been used much anyway as I had at least a few dozen fully kitted out sporting combinations in my day and each combination rarely saw the light of day).

Valuations appreciated folks, and at a push I can provide piccies by E Mail if it helps anyone with their valuation thought process.

Thanks, Vic Thompson
    Last edited by Vic Thompson; 20-11-2021 at 08:49 AM.

The problem is there are so many variations of R10, specific models, or perhaps how people list them, £600+?

The same Goldstar new on GT for £900 so used £650-£700 ish.

If they were previously advertised with little interest it could be either the price or the ad itself.

Personally speaking when I'm looking at ad's,
    if there's no photo it gets dismissed out of hand, it's not up to me to ask for pics they should be there with the ad,
    and done with some care, not just a gun dropped on a half made bed & get it the correct way up
    ie; if you can't be bothered to get the photo right, you probably can't be bothered to look after your gun.

Phrases like TBMK & AFAIK sound like hedging your bets, it's either in perfect working order or it isn't,
    or maybe it's a quick flip of something you just bought cheap so you don't actually know.
    If a fix is so quick & easy, why haven't you already done it?

As I said that's just my personal thinking with ad's.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I haven't used either of them for over a year (possibly not even since start of Covid problems), and am not able to use them at home in order to demonstrate to callers. I know that the guns cycle ok as I fired them both indoors earlier today and that they both still had air in them since last charges up (maybe in 2019 ?) but have no other up to date information regarding today's performance and compliance to factory specification. As stated one was brought new and I've owned both of them for at least five or more years each.

When last used both performed exactly as they should have.

All I need is a ballpark figure regarding asking price (which you've provided), and I'll take it from there. However, as I want them to go straight away I'll not be asking anywhere near market value (from my point of view) as I'm still wary of mixing with people due to continuing Coronavirus problems as I'm classed as being "at risk" (along with many others in my age group).

Vic Thompson.

I would add to the above that I would base the price I was willing to pay on the original selling price. Prices have gone up a lot for the same model over the last few years and I wouldn't pay more than it cost new based on the current price.

Also age comes into it, the older they are the more likely they are to need resealing soon which I would factor into the price.

Finally have they been tinkered with is a question I would ask. If so again I would factor in some rectification time/work. Is this the same Goldstar you were seilling before that had been turned down power wise? I remember thinking about putting in an offer for it when it was up for sale previously but decided not to and stick with what I had.

Rich
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Thing is if they've been laid up for some time as you say, they may both require a good service. Regged guns really need to be used regularly.

This may effect price.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Firstly, it is the same Goldstar as previous advertised but from memory the power is user adjustable and can be set to any level within UK limits within few minutes. Apart from my setting the power for indoor use at 20x, I don't remember doing anything else to either gun apart from replacing the Goldstar Gauge with a brand new one. Regarding new seals due to "age", that would need to be factored into price, but could well be true of any PCP that's a few years old or more.

If you look at BSA's data sheet for the Goldstar you'll see why I reduced the power for indoor use, it was to keep the shot count as high as possible in conjunction with their low cylinder capacity.

Vic Thompson.
    Last edited by Vic Thompson; 17-11-2021 at 06:41 PM.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    From what you have said I'd probably want to consider the price of a service in the purchase of either of these, and possible a new reg for the R10, if the corrosion is on the outside then it's a fair bet it's on the inside as they are renowned for Verdigris which is the main cause of the regs failing

With that and the condition you have stated in mind, I'd go for £450 for the R10 and £400 for the GS, your way to far for me to consider them, so don't think it's low because I want them

The only way to know the value for real is to advertise them, and as you have done so in the past, it's worth considering starting below the previous figure, which was clearly too much
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Thanks for the replies to date but it looks as if interested parties might not be in easy travelling distance to view, so it might well end up being a postal deal with additional cost (and which also takes delivery out of my control).

I'm getting a better idea of what to ask now and with any luck someone will be able to host piccies for me sometime today, maybe following that I can move to the next stage of advertising them and hopefully then "move them on".

Vic Thompson.
    Last edited by Vic Thompson; 18-11-2021 at 08:59 AM.

Here they are. Gorgeous too!

If a picture paints a ..... https://photos.app.goo.gl/EifEoy86JHXtuuM58

Thanks very much Jules,

Regards, Vic Thompson.

And by the way folks, I did check the Goldstar out again and as far as I can see the power setting is straightforwardly "Owner Settable".

Vic T

Looking at the pics they are better than you described

I think that they both look nice Jessim1, but of course I'm biased.

Either way, tomorrow I'll pull a price out of the air and following that they'll get listed in the BBS "For Sale" section (where hopefully a bit of "punter" interest might show itself by way of an offer or two).

Vic Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Thompson View Post
    I think that they both look nice Jessim1, but of course I'm biased.

Either way, tomorrow I'll pull a price out of the air and following that they'll get listed in the BBS "For Sale" section (where hopefully a bit of "punter" interest might show itself by way of an offer or two).

Vic Thompson.
    I've just seen your ad and they both look very good, I think you should shift them at those prices, and adding a few quid for a service puts them firmly onto a decent buy with any potential issues sorted.

GLWTS

James

See the add for this it might be worth clearing up a few things.

It isn't an R10. The reg is entirely different. Tench is reckoned to have been involved in it's design and it is rather different to the R10. Still uses the ball and O ring high pressure seal but HW do too.

The power mentioned in the listing is with 8.4gr pellets. BSA often rate power with more like 10.5gr and as usual with pcp's power goes up with pellet weight.

The low figure and some variation when a gun hasn't been shot for a while even a short while isn't that unusual even on PCP's

Ok I have just bought a new one. I can add to that going on 2 I looked at. The walnut which I bought weighed in at 3.5kg, checking a laminated stock and it came out at 3.25kg. Both are light for this style of gun. More usually 4kg plus.

Match style trigger action but my single shot one isn't set as the multishot laminated one I tried so need to sort out which screw to twiddle to reduce 1st stage travel. The laminated one was pretty impressive. to me anyway.

So maybe I am biased but don't confuse it with the R10.

Quote Originally Posted by ajohn View Post
    See the add for this it might be worth clearing up a few things.

It isn't an R10. The reg is entirely different. Tench is reckoned to have been involved in it's design and it is rather different to the R10. Still uses the ball and O ring high pressure seal but HW do too.

The power mentioned in the listing is with 8.4gr pellets. BSA often rate power with more like 10.5gr and as usual with pcp's power goes up with pellet weight.

The low figure and some variation when a gun hasn't been shot for a while even a short while isn't that unusual even on PCP's

Ok I have just bought a new one. I can add to that going on 2 I looked at. The walnut which I bought weighed in at 3.5kg, checking a laminated stock and it came out at 3.25kg. Both are light for this style of gun. More usually 4kg plus.

Match style trigger action but my single shot one isn't set as the multishot laminated one I tried so need to sort out which screw to twiddle to reduce 1st stage travel. The laminated one was pretty impressive. to me anyway.

So maybe I am biased but don't confuse it with the R10.
    Are you looking at the correct advert????????
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)