Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learned Gents.....

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight

Learned Gents.....

Any clues, there's no makers name as such on the box. Push rod cocking, similar to a Bussey.

IMG_20210920_083036.jpg

IMG_20210920_083207.jpg

IMG_20210920_083122.jpg

Cheers

Dave
    Smell my cheese

I think it could be French, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Thanks mick, I knew you'd have something to contribute.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Brilliant, that's made my morning already !
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    It's a new one on me. At first I thought it might be one of those early French toy pistols where the spring directly propels the pellet or dart (there is a great overview of these here https://www.voitureapedales.com/la-f...uets-eureka-2/), particularly as "baliste" translates as catapult. But on looking closer at the shape of the gun and the mention of a piston,I think it is a true airgun. It must be a take on the Bussey pistol, but without the detachable barrel. The artwork on rhe box is reminiscent of the Giffard brochures, and I would guess it dates from a similar period.

I could only find a mention of this gun in a French auction from an online search, but no image or details. Do you actually have this gun yourself, as lt would be great to have more pics and details?

Cheers
    John

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Lucky guess

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    It's a new one on me. At first I thought it might be one of those early French toy pistols where the spring directly propels the pellet or dart (there is a great overview of these here https://www.voitureapedales.com/la-f...uets-eureka-2/), particularly as "baliste" translates as catapult. But on looking closer at the shape of the gun and the mention of a piston,I think it is a true airgun. It must be a take on the Bussey pistol, but without the detachable barrel. The artwork on rhe box is reminiscent of the Giffard brochures, and I would guess it dates from a similar period.

I could only find a mention of this gun in a French auction from an online search, but no image or details. Do you actually have this gun yourself, as lt would be great to have more pics and details?

Cheers
    John
    Hi john

It's a new acquisition. Let me have an email and a list of what photos you want and I'll sort.

Do you have a link to the auction details?

Cheers

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Definitely an air pistol, moderately pokey too. I'll put it over a chrono later.

IMG_20210920_102946.jpg

Dave
    Smell my cheese

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    Definitely an air pistol, moderately pokey too. I'll put it over a chrono later.

IMG_20210920_102946.jpg

Dave
    What a great find, and another unknown pistol. lucky man.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Lucky guess
    I cheated, Pete --- I Googled where Paris is.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    Hi john

It's a new acquisition. Let me have an email and a list of what photos you want and I'll sort.

Do you have a link to the auction details?

Cheers

Dave
    Thanks for the offer Dave, but your picture of the disassembled gun probably says it all. However, it would be nice to also have a pic of the gun taken from the other side. Are there any pellets in the tin? If so, a pic of these would also be great. Just put the pics on here and Danny will ensure that they get into the Gallery.

For the pistol record, I would be very grateful if you could also provide the following details:

Overall length
    Calibre
    Weight
    Any markings?

It is a fantastic find, as unknown vintage air pistols turn up only once in a blue moon. And to have the box is the icing on the cake. Boy, am I envious!

The entry I found on Google was one of those frustrating ones, where there is more information on the Google extract than in the original source. Looking up Armes Aero-Baliste Paris, Google gave one hit, saying " Souvenirs historiques, militaria et armes se côtoient dans ces ventes, en toute sécurité… ... Lot n°608 Pistolet L'AERO BALISTE, notice d'utilisation et…". Unfortunately when you go to the source, a French auction site, Lot 608 no longer exists and I have not been able to sus out a way of searching the site. [https://www.interencheres.com/meuble...umber=&page=8]

Many thanks,
    John

Thanks for the offer Dave, but your picture of the disassembled gun probably says it all. However, it would be nice to also have a pic of the gun taken from the other side. Are there any pellets in the tin? If so, a pic of these would also be great. Just put the pics on here and Danny will ensure that they get into the Gallery.

For the pistol record, I would be very grateful if you could also provide the following details:

Overall length
    Calibre
    Weight
    Any markings?

It is a fantastic find, as unknown vintage air pistols turn up only once in a blue moon. And to have the box is the icing on the cake. Boy, am I envious!

The entry I found on Google was one of those frustrating ones, where there is more information on the Google extract than in the original source. Looking up Armes Aero-Baliste Paris, Google gave one hit, saying " Souvenirs historiques, militaria et armes se côtoient dans ces ventes, en toute sécurité… ... Lot n°608 Pistolet L'AERO BALISTE, notice d'utilisation et…". Unfortunately when you go to the source, a French auction site, Lot 608 no longer exists and I have not been able to sus out a way of searching the site. [https://www.interencheres.com/meuble...umber=&page=8]

Many thanks,
    John
    Tried the Wayback Machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Tried the Wayback Machine?
    I must admit I had never heard of the Wayback Machine, so I looked it up on Wikipedia. I then tried to follow their instructions on the Wayback website, but got nowhere. I couldn't really understand what it was all about. Maybe some of you tech wizards out there could give it a shot?

I must admit I had never heard of the Wayback Machine, so I looked it up on Wikipedia. I then tried to follow their instructions on the Wayback website, but got nowhere. I couldn't really understand what it was all about. Maybe some of you tech wizards out there could give it a shot?
    Unfortunately it appears the page you’re looking for hasn’t been archived.

A few better snaps (Danny, I'll mail you the better quality versions).

IMG_20210921_103215.jpg

IMG_20210921_103243.jpg

IMG_20210921_103314.jpg

I've measured the calibre at 6,3mm.

Length is 253 mm or as near as 10"

Weight is 7.5 ozs or 214gms.

Using a fairly weighty pellet (26.9gns) it chronos at a heady 0.2ftlbs. That was the best result from a string of 3.

Dave
    Smell my cheese