Thread: Older Hawke Airmax scopes.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

Older Hawke Airmax scopes.

Hi all,

Received my Excalibre last night and on top of it was an old type Hawke Airmax, are they any good, especially the lenses, I think it has the MAP 6 ret, it won't be staying on the rifle as I want a gloss black scope on it.

Your thoughts please gents.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

I've got a couple, both with the Map6 ret,I really rate them. Personally for me the Map6 ret is perfect for my hunting needs.

Hawke

I have a couple of 3-9x50's with the Map 6 reticule. I like them, for general shooting they are more than suitable.

I have 2, Think 3x9-50 and the 4x12-44 , I really like the 44 , Its not to big of scope , I have a load of scopes but what ever gun I tend to stick with they always land up stuck on it, The 50 however just seems to big, Can never seem to gell with it.

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    I have 2, Think 3x9-50 and the 4x12-44 , I really like the 44 , Its not to big of scope , I have a load of scopes but what ever gun I tend to stick with they always land up stuck on it, The 50 however just seems to big, Can never seem to gell with it.
    I'm not too worried about it to be honest as it will just end up on another rifle but I know the newer Airmax's are pretty good (they should be for the money they charge for them) but I wasn't sure what the really older versions where like.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

In the 2009 catalogue the old 1" airmax is the first step up from the Sport series.

It goes; Sport HD, Sport HD IR, Airmax, MAP Pro, Varmint, Nite-eye, etc, etc up to the Sidewinder at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    In the 2009 catalogue the old 1" airmax is the first step up from the Sport series.

It goes; Sport HD, Sport HD IR, Airmax, MAP Pro, Varmint, Nite-eye, etc, etc up to the Sidewinder at the top.
    So probably not that much better than the sports then.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    I'm not too worried about it to be honest as it will just end up on another rifle but I know the newer Airmax's are pretty good (they should be for the money they charge for them) but I wasn't sure what the really older versions where like.

Pete
    Not sure how old mine are , But the smaller one seems to be my favourite, Another favorite is a old ags swat scope , I just seem to gell with that, I seem to get on better with basic crosshairs than mildots,

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    So probably not that much better than the sports then.

Pete
    Well in 2009 they were about 20% more expensive, only available with the MAP 6 ret & had "Open Glove grip" elevation turret, windage had a different turret with a cap
    Apart from that the book is somewhat lacking in detail.

Move forward to my 2013 catalogue all the specs are different, turrets have changed & now the same as the sport of that year, still only MAP 6 ret, airmax are now all AO, shorter tube, different eye relief & 20 degree wider FOV than the sport.

So what you get will depend on the actual age of the scope.

Air Max

I have the old 4-12 x 44 airmax with the SR6 Ret used it for ages both as a daytime scope and with my pard NV007 which it worked really well with ... Replaced it with a 2-7x32 Airmax recently only because it was a bit too long for my P15 ....Will keep it as a backup scope as never had any problems with it and holds zero perfectly
    Missed Again ! .... I Was On Him !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Well in 2009 they were about 20% more expensive, only available with the MAP 6 ret & had "Open Glove grip" elevation turret, windage had a different turret with a cap
    Apart from that the book is somewhat lacking in detail.

Move forward to my 2013 catalogue all the specs are different, turrets have changed & now the same as the sport of that year, still only MAP 6 ret, airmax are now all AO, shorter tube, different eye relief & 20 degree wider FOV than the sport.

So what you get will depend on the actual age of the scope.
    The one I have on my rifle must be the 2009ish model (it's a 3-9x40 non AO model by the way) it's the older generic Chinese style shape with the "open glove grip" like you described and like the one shown below.

https://www.uttings.co.uk/p102789-ha...o-rifle-scope/

I'll have to have a look outside with it and see how clear it is.

Pete