Thread: Putting a barrel shroud on a PCP.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35

Putting a barrel shroud on a PCP.

Hi all,
    I'm thinking of putting a slim barrel shroud with a built in silencer onto my new RWS Excalibre, now I seem to remember reading a few years ago that PCP barrels lose accuracy if they are clamped to the cylinder, I know you have some rifles with barrel clamps and some have free floating barrels.

So is it just the case of getting a shroud to fit or is there more involved than that?

Cheers

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

A bit more to it,
    You have a breach/block end fixing often held by a grub-screw, then a barrel end support which can be screw on or push on to the barrel & has an O ring to centralise in the shroud & then the screw in end cap.

I'll pull out my MFR shroud for a photo.

Here you go,
    Last edited by angrybear; 22-09-2021 at 02:20 PM.

I thought about doing that to my Excalibre, but I didn't have access to a lathe at that time, and have now sold the gun. But I know where you're coming from, because the extra length of a moderator slightly spoils the nice lines of the gun. Problem is that there's not much room and the diameter of the shroud woold not be very large. My gun was not terribly loud though, so it might work ok.

Would you be shortening the barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by bill57 View Post
    I thought about doing that to my Excalibre, but I didn't have access to a lathe at that time, and have now sold the gun. But I know where you're coming from, because the extra length of a moderator slightly spoils the nice lines of the gun. Problem is that there's not much room and the diameter of the shroud woold not be very large. My gun was not terribly loud though, so it might work ok.

Would you be shortening the barrel?
    Not sure if I would shorten the barrel or not, I've been looking at the old Venom Vipers and how much they over hang the cylinder, not sure if I would want it flush or over hanging, I have found a potential problem though, the magazine release pin is directly on top of the barrel and you can see where it has been rubbing as some of the bluing is missing, so I'm not sure how I would get around that, I don't really want to cut any of the shroud away as it will look odd.

It currently has one of the long steel Parker Hale silencers and it looks awful.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Shroud ?

Not enough clearance between barrel and comp tube for a effective shroud , you would be better off with a
    Swift stumpy silencer .

The magazine pin would be a problem, and you would need some sort of slot in the shroud to accomodate it. The magazine pin was a weak spot on my gun, if the gun was pointing down it could drop forwards, and if you left the bolt back in a safe poition the magazine fell out. I lost two that way while hunting, until I hooked a spring round it and hooked it to a bolt on the front scope mount.

Not really enough room to fit a shroud with built-in silencer, you could add a carbon sleeve and a stand-alone silencer.

I think I've now realised it's not going to be an easy task, so I'll try and find a silencer that is the same size (in diameter) as the barrel end support, that should look a bit neater.

Pete