Thread: Webley and Scott Mk1 air rifle serial number 71.

Webley and Scott Mk1 air rifle serial number 71.

Hello All,
    I have found the above whilst clearing my Father's house. I thought it had gone to the cousins years ago, along with the shotgun and the Winchester rifle but it seems he wanted to keep this one. Now I have some idea how old it is I realise it is probably the one he had when he roamed the Hampshire countryside with his dog ( those were the days) in the early years of the war, potting rabbits. He still used it on the rats under the bird table a few years ago.
    It is a .177 calibre, 19" barrel (not exchangeable), the stock is sound with no cracks. I would be very grateful for any light that can be shed on it's age, configuration, there seem to be many variants, anything really. I'm not planning to sell it as it is one of the very few things he kept and used from his boyhood to old age. Any advice on preserving it also gratefully received.
    I can't post pictures yet but will as soon as I can.
    Thank you and regards
    Clare.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Hi Clare, and welcome to the forum.

The Mk1 rifle is one of my favourite rifles. Manufactured between the mid 1920s and early 30s, they were Webley's first foray into air rifles. Diminutive and not particularly powerful, they are a pleasure to shoot. They are one of the rarer Webley rifles and reasonably sought after so command a decent price. In my opinion, one of the best things you can do with one of these is use it now and again. Mine comes out at Bell target now and again and it manages to pull off a reasonable score given it's shortcomings.

Fantastic that it's been in your family for so long, and hopefully will be appreciated by generations to come.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

On the subject of preserving it, a quick wipe over of the metalwork with a cloth moistened with 3 in 1 oil after using should be all it needs, or any other light mineral oil. Or you can spray an oil on and wipe off for the same result (many people including me like ballistol, though it has a distinct smell fresh out of the bottle. 3in1 would certainly be more “period” for an old webley)

Surface rust can be improved by rubbing very gently and carefully with 0000 wire wool moistened in 3 in 1, but great care is needed and unless any rust is both significant and yet still superficial I would leave it. A certain amount of wear and patina is part of the charm.

And of course don’t leave it anywhere damp!
    Morally flawed

Rather use a light machine oil like sewing Machine oil.

Thumbs up

Hi Clare and welcome to the forum..

I have number 486, It still has it's original etching allbeit quite faint these days! (I'll have to stop cleaning it!!), I bought mine from a friend who also collects airguns, It's the pride of my collection!

Here's a pic of it with it's big brother, The mk2 Service rifle and a 1950's (Or maybe 60's) Mk3..

It's a nice old rifle to have

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by ClareMcK View Post
    Hello All,
    I have found the above whilst clearing my Father's house. I thought it had gone to the cousins years ago, along with the shotgun and the Winchester rifle but it seems he wanted to keep this one. Now I have some idea how old it is I realise it is probably the one he had when he roamed the Hampshire countryside with his dog ( those were the days) in the early years of the war, potting rabbits. He still used it on the rats under the bird table a few years ago.
    It is a .177 calibre, 19" barrel (not exchangeable), the stock is sound with no cracks. I would be very grateful for any light that can be shed on it's age, configuration, there seem to be many variants, anything really. I'm not planning to sell it as it is one of the very few things he kept and used from his boyhood to old age. Any advice on preserving it also gratefully received.
    I can't post pictures yet but will as soon as I can.
    Thank you and regards
    Clare.
    Clare you can see pics of other similar rifles here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....mk1-air-rifle/

and see scans of the original handbook here (courtesy of BBS member Troubledshooter):

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....ture/#post-152

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hello Johnbaz,
    Yup, that looks just like it. Mine doesn't have any etching on it, just the stamped 'Manufactured by Webley and Scott Ltd of Birmingham and London' and the calibre and serial number.

Pics of Clare's late father's Mk1 here:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....fle/#post-6570

You can just see the etching very faintly. I would do nothing to this gun but wipe oil on the metalwork.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I agree with Danny, a very careful application of some light machine oil should protect the metalwork and what's left of the etching. A very nice find and well worth hanging on to, as it will probably only increase in value.
    I still have one in my collection even though I'm disposing of it all, but the Mk.1 rifle will be one of the last to go.

Interesting to see that the front of the trigger block appears to have been threaded for a trigger adjusting screw, but obviously not used on this specimen (in this position), though such was used on Nos.85 & 86.

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    Interesting to see that the front of the trigger block appears to have been threaded for a trigger adjusting screw, but obviously not used on this specimen (in this position), though such was used on Nos.85 & 86.
    I noticed that too Chris and wondered if perhaps at some point it was 'upgraded' by the factory to the later bottom screw adjuster?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

edbear2 Guest
    On something not used much I have found Express oil by Parker Hale to be really good, even after longish periods of storage it is still there as applied (I don't have shares or anything)

Been using it for several years now on my old stuff:

https://www.nsrashop.co.uk/products/...xpress-gun-oil

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    On something not used much I have found Express oil by Parker Hale to be really good, even after longish periods of storage it is still there as applied (I don't have shares or anything)

ATB, Ed
    Interesting. I’m a Ballistol fan, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post

ATB, Ed
    That's the oil I use for mine.
    Steve

I've had Good deals & great info from many in this forum.