Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: why is the rapid 7 still so popular

Operating without any decent restraint - Nottm
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    So with a 7mm spinner and 4.5mm pellets, assuming a 1mm overlap on the target is all that's needed for a good hit (not a 0.5mm clip), that's a group size of 9.5mm. Good for sure, but not 6.35mm (1/4").
    Then factor in you missed a few completely, so we're up to at least 12-13mm. Don't get me wrong, it's good shooting from a good gun, but it's not a 1/4" group at 46 metres
    Yes, but when you factor in that the bloke shooting might be a bit shite, pellets straight out of the tin, outside with a cross breeze, perhaps the gun is capable of a bit more eh?
    1st Battalion Humberside Cavalier Rescue Deserters on the cut

your logic is flawed.. your assumption is that if they were nice they'd not be messed with... the rapid is messed with as so many want to illegally convert it to fac power, as most on this forum know.

nothing to do with "nice" whatever that means.

it is also and out-and-out field gun, not a shelf/cupboard queen, to be looked at and polished. so an owner will not think twice about modifying if there's a potential improvement in it's function (whether he has the knowledge ir not).

finally, you correlate worked on with bodged up.. sure plenty have.. but they still survice, when the hw100s and daystates would have been scrapped for parts long ago, but the bodged up rapid limps on a huge number have also been worked on and improved. modified hammers, regs, barrels, vavles, qfs, guages, all available form many experts and vendors. it a popular gun and 30 odd years old, so you should t be surprised that you see a good few ropey ones.

and guess what.. people generally hold onto the good omes, not sell them.
    This is true. Maybe not always pushing the limit, but idiots think they can improve them with spanners, hammers, and bits off E Thing. (Bit like 80s…..)

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil. View Post
    Yes, but when you factor in that the bloke shooting might be a bit shite, pellets straight out of the tin, outside with a cross breeze, perhaps the gun is capable of a bit more eh?
    agree completely. but my rapid was also shot by a guy who might be a bit shite, pellets straight out of the tin, outside in a breeze.... i bet the rapid is capable of a bit more too

so as we are comparing apples with apples, with the above caveats, 3/4" for the rapid and 1/2" hw100 sounds a fair baseline in the real world
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    The S200 is a different matter. That is a PCP worth buying, best gun Air Arms ever made
    Thought CZ made the S200, but they did have a good barrel but the action had a rubbish trigger mech the power curve is like a banana they are cheap and cheerfull and are accurate but can't be compared to a rapid mk2

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by DM80 View Post
    Thought CZ made the S200, but they did have a good barrel but the action had a rubbish trigger mech the power curve is like a banana they are cheap and cheerfull and are accurate but can't be compared to a rapid mk2
    yeah, those CZ barrels are great though. Seen them grafted to all sorts of more expensive guns - including Pro targets and Rapids
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

i like them barrels a lot

No the Jurassic gun is made by FX.
    My Rapid is 25 year old and will still compete with anything available today.
    Sure the original adverts said the .22 MK1 would do 1/2" groups at 40 yards.
    Mine regularly does one hole groups at fifty if conditions are right and im on the ball.
    We used to practice shooting the plastic tops off drawing pins at 50yards.
    6 pins lowest number of shots wins, usually took 12-15 shots, best was 9.
    Not bad for an out dated basic ugly dinosaur gun!!
    VAYA CON DIOS

When did the Rapids start production, Thought my old one was 86/87 , I may be wrong , Anyway they have been out a while, None of the above really matters although some interesting points , As whatever has been said it's still a very popular gun and are still selling like petrol, Will other guns be as popular for that length of time, I doubt it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidresponse1 View Post
    i like them barrels a lot
    Very good barrels and some are exceptional, i have one that shoots better than my old LG300..so i sold it and converted my S200T from a hunting gun into a full blown target rifle.
    With the Huma reg i get 80 shots at 777 fps with not much variance and has a nicely fettled trigger mechanism and Rowan trigger set up, it is as good as a std S400 or Mk4
    Rapid unit.
    Far better than standard, not as good as the LG300 but it does just fine.
    Fwiw, some dont like them, but i actually liked the Gamo unit on the Mk1 Rapid with a trigger shoe fitted it was a good robust hunting unit.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreengrass View Post
    Fwiw, some dont like them, but i actually liked the Gamo unit on the Mk1 Rapid with a trigger shoe fitted it was a good robust hunting unit.
    Really..... my Gamo was a worked unit. Very much refined. They managed to get it up to the standard of a sack of gravel being deagged through frozen treacle. Horrid nasty buggas.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Really..... my Gamo was a worked unit. Very much refined. They managed to get it up to the standard of a sack of gravel being deagged through frozen treacle. Horrid nasty buggas.
    Lol..yes i have had a couple that were good, one as is..and
    another that was polished up.
    Plus, they were meant to hold back a proper mainspring
    so, are very durable when holding back a piddly Pcp spring.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    your logic is flawed.. your assumption is that if they were nice they'd not be messed with... the rapid is messed with as so many want to illegally convert it to fac power, as most on this forum know.
    Could this be the real answer to the OP?

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Could this be the real answer to the OP?
    Probably a good point when you look at the prices "high power" bits reach on evilbay

Quote Originally Posted by madcarlos View Post
    When did the Rapids start production, Thought my old one was 86/87 , I may be wrong , Anyway they have been out a while, None of the above really matters although some interesting points , As whatever has been said it's still a very popular gun and are still selling like petrol, Will other guns be as popular for that length of time, I doubt it very much.
    The theoben rapid 7 started around 1991 1992 am sure.

yes for me owning one in those days was just a dream