Thread: Webley Mk 3 problem. Help required please

Webley Mk 3 problem. Help required please

First of all I will say this is the first gun I have ever owned so my knowledge is very little. I was given the gun by a friend and from some research I have discovered as its a 4nnnnnn serial number its pre 1966. The gun is in reasonable condition but could do with a re-bluing although it has cleaned up OK with oiled wire wool (my top tip is don't keep guns in an umbrella stand with wet umbrellas !) The problem is that the rifle will not lock unless you push the trigger forward slightly as you draw the piston back, it will then fire OK. I know there is a trigger adjustment screw on the top of the barrel at the back and on internet pics this screw its almost flush to the top. On my gun its screwed down by 5 mils or so into the body. Ive also looked at some spares diagrams on the internet and although the parts are shown exploded it doesn't show how they all relate to each other so I'm not sure which part is likely to be the problem. Is there an obvious solution to this ?
    Its also missing the rear sight which appear to be about £75 or so when available.
    Thanks for reading this

Hi,
    Firstly, welcome to BBS.

If the trigger adjustment screw is screwed in to such a depth it would suggest that the sear is barely engaging with the notch in the piston rod assembly when it is cocked and that is maybe why you need to push the trigger forward in order for it to engage; not a desirable situation since the trigger pull will probably too light!

As a first-off, screw out the trigger adjustment screw a few turns after unlocking it by means of the locking screw on the RHS of the trigger block and then re-lock it and try cocking it again. There should be now a more positive engagement of the sear with the notch. I hope this helps but I am sure others will be along soon to add further advice.

I have an electronic copy of the MKIII user manual. If you need a copy just send me your e mail via PM and I will get a copy to you asap.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by AC99 View Post
    Hi,
    Firstly, welcome to BBS.

If the trigger adjustment screw is screwed in to such a depth it would suggest that the sear is barely engaging with the notch in the piston rod assembly when it is cocked and that is maybe why you need to push the trigger forward in order for it to engage; not a desirable situation since the trigger pull will probably too light!

As a first-off, screw out the trigger adjustment screw a few turns after unlocking it by means of the locking screw on the RHS of the trigger block and then re-lock it and try cocking it again. There should be now a more positive engagement of the sear with the notch. I hope this helps but I am sure others will be along soon to add further advice.
    Cheers for the advice, I'll have a look at the weekend and post the results

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I have an electronic copy of the MKIII user manual. If you need a copy just send me your e mail via PM and I will get a copy to you asap.
    Cheers, Phil
    PM'd Thanks

Brocott,

I have also found that if the lock screw on the RHS of the rear cylinder is tightened too much, it makes the trigger un-reliable.

( I posted about this in this section some time ago )

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Cheers, Phil
    Hi Phil Is there any chance you could send me a copy of your electronic Webley mk3 manual please.Many thanks
    BBF
    "The grass is always greener on the other side"

Thanks for all the advice and info received. It was simply the adjustment screw, wound it back out a bit as suggested and problem now fixed.
    Will now re-blue at some point in the future.