Thread: Original? Webley oil can

Original? Webley oil can

Hi guys, Item 373783541633 on auction site Webley oil can for sale by JC Militaria.
    Comments please.
    Cheers Paul

To the best of my knowledge, the original Webley 'Valvespout' oil can did not have a removable spout, plus the apparent soldering to the top and base of the can would suggest it is a reproduction, although not one of mine.
    Below is a photograph of the top of an original on the left, and one of my replicas on the right. My replicas have a removable valvespout, with the knurled screw base covered by a friction fit collar.

Last edited by Troubledshooter; 12-11-2021 at 01:14 PM.

Very nice job and looks the part,,, Thanks for sharing. Can i buy one.. Much nicer than the tripe that comes up on the bay..

Quote Originally Posted by colin g View Post
    Very nice job and looks the part,,, Thanks for sharing. Can i buy one.. Much nicer than the tripe that comes up on the bay..
    I have outstanding orders for several when I can find the donor cans, but unfortunately they only seem to be available from the USA with the postage costs being more than individual cans, which makes the eventual cost uneconomic.
    This is an example of the required donor can currently offered on Eb@y, with the postage nearly three times the cost of the can. I post the picture as an example, but I much prefer cleaner non rusty cans.

As Troubledshooter says, original pre-war cans did not have removable spouts. Original cans like the one pictured below can fetch prices in the £300 price range if still in good condition.

Brian

JCM also have a box of .25 Webley pellets listed with an interesting stamp on the back - I can't quite make out what it says though.

This box does look original to me.

John M
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    JCM also have a box of .25 Webley pellets listed with an interesting stamp on the back - I can't quite make out what it says though.

John M
    Now that, 353764170956 in my opinion, is perfectly genuine. Pity the trade stamp on the rear is not very legible.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post

John M
    Is it possibly C.H Smith 123 Steelhouse Lane. C.H. Smith rings a bell with airgun stuff.
    Last edited by silva; 12-11-2021 at 10:59 PM.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    Is it possibly C.H Smith 123 Steelhouse Lane. C.H. Smith rings a bell with airgun stuff.
    I've enhanced the photograph slightly, and from what can be read I think you could well be correct.
    I have a Mk.2 Service flyer with their name and address at the bottom, but not a trade stamp.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    I've enhanced the photograph slightly, and from what can be read I think you could well be correct.
    I have a Mk.2 Service flyer with their name and address at the bottom, but not a trade stamp.
    l had some airgun card targets once with the same name and address on them.

The pellets are up to £90 with the oil can at £51.

I would not be surprised if the pellets double in price by the auction's end but not so sure about the can, unless two bidders think it's original and want it for their collection.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

It would appear the oil can was withdrawn from sale.
    The pellets made £189.79 including postage.