Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i have a box of military 177 pellets dated 41 off top of head

i have a box of military 177 pellets dated 41 off top of head

what rifles used this webleys or bsa.s

Hello

At the risk of sounding facetious, any 0.177 air rifle / pistol
    A picture might help identify the manufacturer .

Sam

If we're talking about the same thing (plain white/beige box/label), these would have been for military issue/practice at a time of wartime lead pellet rationing, so were not intended for a specific brand of airgun. Most were for army use but I have also seen a box intended for naval issue too - cadets perhaps?

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

I seem to remember a War Office newspaper cutting from 1939 or so, asking for underlever air rifles to be donated for the duration, as I remember. Or did it list a number of suitable makers.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

was more asking what kind of rifles were in use in the military back then its a white full box i recall somewhere i have it

Quote Originally Posted by zeroscore View Post
    was more asking what kind of rifles were in use in the military back then its a white full box i recall somewhere i have it
    Binners it’s time for your picture of the milpat shooting down the ME109 again

But seriously : with the exception of a gun laying trainer (I can post a pic if you’re interested) afaik the uk military did not officially use airguns for training in WW2. So the answer would be whatever the unit in question happened to have acquired. Most likely BSAs I would think.

I didn’t know there were official issue pelllets so thanks for that.

Édit: https://www.rifleman.org.uk/Air-rifles.html you may be interested in this which shows your pellets and also the gun laying device
    Last edited by Jerry Cornelius; 08-12-2021 at 07:05 AM.
    Morally flawed

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post

But seriously : with the exception of a gun laying trainer (I can post a pic if you’re interested) afaik the uk military did not officially use airguns for training in WW2. So the answer would be whatever the unit in question happened to have acquired. Most likely BSAs I would think.

Édit: https://www.rifleman.org.uk/Air-rifles.html you may be interested in this which shows your pellets and also the gun laying device
    Hi Jerry,

Thank you for linking that article. The plain 1941 pellet box is the one I referred to in post #3.

I can add the H:1104 reference on the pellet packet refers to Land or Army use, whereas an N prefix, which I have also seen refers to Naval use.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post
    Hello

At the risk of sounding facetious, any 0.177 air rifle / pistol
    A picture might help identify the manufacturer .

Sam
    i will soon when i have time sam mad hours im working at moment

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post

thats the exact pellets and box i have in fact it could be mine in same condition to

full box are they rare ??

thats the exact pellets and box i have in fact it could be mine in same condition to

full box are they rare ??
    I would think a full box of wartime pellets in that condition must be decidedly rare, but others will know better
    Morally flawed

They do come up for sale from time to time - I have owned several boxes over the last 30 years. I think I sold the last one for £60 and that was open with a little damage to the label, so not pristine.

John

Wink

thanks john nice to know a bit of history of them they are not for sale anyway just good to know i hope you covered these in your book. the rifles ect or maybe pellets to ? i recall wrapping cling film round them to stop the box getting damaged whilst at some point in future being able to display them in a cabinet with others

thanks john nice to know a bit of history of them they are not for sale anyway just good to know i hope you covered these in your book. the rifles ect or maybe pellets to ? i recall wrapping cling film round them to stop the box getting damaged whilst at some point in future being able to display them in a cabinet with others
    Good idea about the cling film and yes, pellets are covered in the BSA book, albeit not these ones as they were available just after the 1939 cut off date for the book. However, I am planning an occasional series on collectable pellets in my Airgun World column and as coincidence has it, the military box is among the first I intend to feature.

Kind regards,

John

let me know if you need photos john

regards mike

let me know if you need photos john

regards mike
    That's very kind Mike. I should be OK for photos as I have two examples to feature; one for Land use and the less common Naval issue.

I still don't know who the manufacturer was though - probably ICI (later Eley) as they made the Wasp and Pylarm from 1932 onwards or possibly Lanes.

Kind regards,

John