Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: i have a box of military 177 pellets dated 41 off top of head

I have a couple of unopened boxes that were bought from John Longstaff's in the early 1970's. they are in very similar boxes to the surplus .22lr made by Eley that he used to sell

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    That's very kind Mike. I should be OK for photos as I have two examples to feature; one for Land use and the less common Naval issue.

I still don't know who the manufacturer was though - probably ICI (later Eley) as they made the Wasp and Pylarm from 1932 onwards or possibly Lanes.

Kind regards,

John
    how can we find out true manufacturer john ?

Quote Originally Posted by zeroscore View Post
    how can we find out true manufacturer john ?
    Now that is a quest. Perhaps a firearm cartridge collector that is familiar with the various codes on the box can tell us what the L8 and 1 signify on the box pictured by the Rifleman. My box is marked L29 and 5. Strangely enough I used to own a box marked L8 and 1.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

yup mines l8 and 1 for sure just checked old photo

any chance of writing a pellet book ther is no information out there for us lead collectors

https://www.rifleman.org.uk/Air-rifles.html

Quite a lot of info here (scroll down a fair bit). And an apparent prototype BSA 1930s SMLE trainer that I’d never heard of!

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    https://www.rifleman.org.uk/Air-rifles.html

Quite a lot of info here (scroll down a fair bit). And an apparent prototype BSA 1930s SMLE trainer that I’d never heard of!
    That SMLE was featured in Roy Valentine's last ever article for Airgun World and has a brief mention in my book. I'd love a chance to test fire it.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

Quote Originally Posted by zeroscore View Post
    any chance of writing a pellet book ther is no information out there for us lead collectors
    John Atkins has featured pellets and their packaging in an occasional series of articles in Air Gunner over the years with more to come. Now that man would be the one to write such a book as his knowledge on old pellets as well as airguns is phenomenal.

John

well torment him with your new book john and say you couldnt do the same with pellets could you!!!