Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kempton arms fair today.

Kempton arms fair today.

A big thank you to Pete (Binners) and staff for putting on another great event for us all to enjoy..
    A big thank you also to John Milewski for my signed copy of your new book,and the brief chat that we had.I am looking forward to reading it from front to back..
    It was nice to catch up with some of the Boinger Bash folk.
    I also came away with a nice Air Arms scope to go on one of my AA sidelever rifles,cheers John..
    Atb
    Les..

Great turnout at Kempton today, great to be indoors again!

A big congrats to John on his book, it’s a very high quality item that’s an instant classic.

Cheers,
    Matt

I enjoyed it some nice items but I would say while one or two bargains to be had the majority of guns/ air rifles still ….. way overpriced! ….
    I’ve been to the last three shows and noticed the same guns by same seller/ dealer still for sale , think they would of got the message by now …… it’s overpriced! .

Quote Originally Posted by macmerc View Post
    I enjoyed it some nice items but I would say while one or two bargains to be had the majority of guns/ air rifles still ….. way overpriced! ….
    I’ve been to the last three shows and noticed the same guns by same seller/ dealer still for sale , think they would of got the message by now …… it’s overpriced! .
    I doubt that any dealer would sell all their stock over the course of just 3 fairs. Perhaps the right buyer has not come along yet for the expensive items?

The great thing about Kempton is the sheer variety - anything from project gun prices to top money for real rarities such as the Crosman 160SP I saw on one stall. This was the variant used by the USAF among other government sponsored bodies over the pond. Had I not had one already, I'd have snapped it up. I also saw a reasonably priced BSA 635 Magnum on another stall but the condition was not quite there for me and I left it where it was for another collector.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by macmerc View Post
    It’s not a boot sale. You won’t find anyone whose got an Abas Major and thinks it’s only worth a tenner.

Compared to, say, auction prices the prices seem ok. And you can inspect the guns and ask questions about them.

There are a few rare guns that have been around for the last few shows but I suspect the dealer is in no hurry to move them on, and they attract attention. IIRC the prices were not stupid.

If people have bog standard airsporters at silly prices I can’t say cos I didn’t look

Anyway no one has to pay an asking price, you can always haggle or walk away.
    Morally flawed

edbear2 Guest
    The thing I was taken a bit back by was as the way premium springers have crept up in new prices ( I had to check as I am out of touch).

One seller who was just round from John with some lovely rim and centrefire target rifles had Fulton regulated, wonderful condition with Parker Hale sights, SMLE rifles for less than a new Prosport!

I wonder what full bore and antique shooters think when they see the price of some air rifles!

(I am aware they made 1,000,000's of Lee Enfields obviously, but it made me think when I looked at some of his other stuff at what a bargain they were).

ATB, Ed

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    ^^^^^ This, If you look at the prices of antique guns there are some real bargains to be had, as for air rifles I doubt many will ever appreciate much in real terms.
    But you will always get those who say "Im a pensioner you know" as if that grants them the right to have everything at rock bottom prices!

I can exclusively reveal that Sunday's fair will be featured in a YouTube presentation by our own ptdunk.

Knowing the high standard of Matt's previous videos and having the pleasure to briefly work with Matt and his better half Mariana on Sunday has me looking forward to finally seeing a professionally produced video of the fair.

Matt explained it would take around a fortnight to complete the production and editing, so that leads us up to Christmas nicely. I for one can't wait to see it!

John M
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    ^^^^^ This, If you look at the prices of antique guns there are some real bargains to be had, as for air rifles I doubt many will ever appreciate much in real terms.
    But you will always get those who say "Im a pensioner you know" as if that grants them the right to have everything at rock bottom prices!
    I say that but with my tongue firmly in my cheek .Do people really use that line as a bargaining tool ?

Quote Originally Posted by jedburgh View Post
    I say that but with my tongue firmly in my cheek .Do people really use that line as a bargaining tool ?
    Funnily enough, the line has been used on me in the past!

John

If anyone thinks old BSA underlevers are expensive now, wait until the new book has had a few readers.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    If anyone thinks old BSA underlevers are expensive now, wait until the new book has had a few readers.
    I'd better find a tin hat!

John

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Funnily enough, the line has been used on me in the past!

John
    We must know the same bloke! He uses it all the time.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    Never had it said to me when l have being selling, more than likely because they can see that l am a pensioner.

I used to occasionally get the "I'm a pensioner" quoted when I was briefly in retail, and depending on my mood of the day I would either say "So" or "Congratulations".
    Being a pensioner myself for the past eighteen years I wouldn't dream of saying this in a shop unless there was a clear sign saying 'Discount for OAP's', and even then it would depend on the cost of the item.