Thread: Ace break barrel

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight

Ace break barrel

Morning chaps, I picked up a dinky little break barrel at Kempton at the weekend. Typical little turn of the 20th century thing with a clover leaf emblem on the cylinder and the name "ACE" inside the leaves. Nothing in any of my books and a Web search brings up hundreds of Sharp references.

Any knowledge out there?

Thanks

Dave
    Smell my cheese

A lil bump, just in case.
    Smell my cheese

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    If memory serves me well, l think these were rebadged inported Diana's by Pulverman. l saw one of these about 25 years ago and an other one about 10 years ago but, didn't buy it as the seller was asking to much. hope this might help.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    If memory serves me well, l think these were rebadged inported Diana's by Pulverman. l saw one of these about 25 years ago and an other one about 10 years ago but, didn't buy it as the seller was asking to much. hope this might help.
    Thanks, will pursue that line of investigation. Just for info, this was quite reasonably priced at £120 and a lovely elegant little rifle.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Have had a quick squint and it does indeed resemble an early Diana Model 26. No trigger adjustment though and tiny at 35 3/4" overall length.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

The Clover leaf emblem intrigued me......

Very likely unrelated Dave, but I have an old 12" 'Swain' cast iron skillet the the Clover leaf emblem that was their registered trademark.
    It is quite a delicate casting and would have taken some skill by the foundry artisan at Matthew Swain Foundry in Manchester(?) circa 1930's, I believe.

Last edited by slow_runner; 15-12-2021 at 01:21 PM.

This is the clover leaf on the rifle...

IMG_20211212_124821.jpg

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Hi Dave,

I can't help thinking that I have seen at least one on my travels. Could it be a Japanese or Indian copy? I tested a Japanese break barrel some years ago and while it was very smooth to cock, the sights were miniscule and way too difficult to see with my old eyes.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Mistery solved, many thanks to Danny.

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....l-i-air-rifle/

And this little snippet from the blue book confirms it, also mentions Martin Pulverman and company.

IMG_20211215_173733.jpg

Dave
    Smell my cheese

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    Thanks, will pursue that line of investigation. Just for info, this was quite reasonably priced at £120 and a lovely elegant little rifle.

Dave
    Hi Dave, the one l saw 10 years ago the seller wouldn't come down below £90 which at the time l thought it was over priced. my memory wasn't to bad with the Pulverman conection.