Thread: Mr. John Griffiths

Mr. John Griffiths

Hello All,

I am asking this on behalf of a fellow collector.
    If anyone feels this is a tad intrusive , please say.

Does anyone here know Mr John Griffiths , personally , well enough to ask him if there is a spare dust cover for his book available , please
    - The Encyclopaedia of Air Pistols.

Thanks

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post
    Hello All,

I am asking this on behalf of a fellow collector.
    If anyone feels this is a tad intrusive , please say.

Does anyone here know Mr John Griffiths , personally , well enough to ask him if there is a spare dust cover for his book available , please
    - The Encyclopaedia of Air Pistols.

Thanks
    Hi Sam,
    I know him quite well, but probably not quite as well as my wife does. (Yes, I am he!)
    I do not have any spares unfortunately, as they were ridiculously expensive compared to the cost of the book itself. I could let you have the cover off my working copy if it is of interest, as it is of no real use to me. It is in pretty good condition no tears, but a bit frayed on spine edges, front perfect, back a bit scuffed. You can have it for the postage cost.

Hello John,

Thats very kind of you - Thank You.

If you send me your address , via my email if you like , I will send a SAE later this week.

Thanks

email :- healeynick@hotmail.com

Never heard of him. But I do use various reference books (including a superb encyclopedia of spring air pistols - I forget the author) and find it easier to use them without the dust covers, which invariably get torn/fall off in use.

The most annoying reference book to use is the Blue Book of Airguns, which as well as its frequently suspect contents, has a habit of springing closed, meaning you often lose your place.

I can see the advantages of old school print 'n' paper books in terms of sheer 'big picture' longevity and the pleasure of possession, but digital information (ie with hyperlinks) is so much easier to navigate, as well as not adding to the 'clutter factor'!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I removed the dust cover from my copy and tucked it away, then put a brown paper cover on to protect the book, schooldays style. Also wrapped my ‘pneumatic reflections’ and will soon do the same to John M’s superb BSA book.

Digital reference can take you down some fantastic avenues of research, often branching off in unexpected directions.
    I do love looking something up in a book though.

Matt

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post
    Hello John,

Thats very kind of you - Thank You.

If you send me your address , via my email if you like , I will send a SAE later this week.

Thanks

email :- healeynick@hotmail.com
    Email now sent.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Never heard of him. But I do use various reference books (including a superb encyclopedia of spring air pistols - I forget the author) and find it easier to use them without the dust covers, which invariably get torn/fall off in use.

The most annoying reference book to use is the Blue Book of Airguns, which as well as its frequently suspect contents, has a habit of springing closed, meaning you often lose your place.

I can see the advantages of old school print 'n' paper books in terms of sheer 'big picture' longevity and the pleasure of possession, but digital information (ie with hyperlinks) is so much easier to navigate, as well as not adding to the 'clutter factor'!
    Even more true of the current edition which is so huge (despite missing huge swathes of major past manufacturers - presumably because it is US focused) it weighs more than an old London phone directory.

Re. the Blue Book; Would it not make sense to produce two versions, perhaps bi-annually. One that concentrates on vintage and out of production airguns and the other on current models?

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Re. the Blue Book; Would it not make sense to produce two versions, perhaps bi-annually. One that concentrates on vintage and out of production airguns and the other on current models?

John
    I’m not sure they are that bothered by the airgun angle, we should probably be glad to have it at all.

Having gone to the trouble of getting the latest edition from the states, I can say there is no point: if you have any one reasonably up to date edition you’ll have all the material that is of interest to collectors corner. Now Dr Beeman is dead I doubt any of the stuff relating to older airguns will ever be updated
    Morally flawed

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Email now sent.
    Hello John

I have replied by email and a SAE units way to you

Regards

Nick