Thread: Brema 35

Brema 35

I was looking at an example on one of the main gun sales sites earlier. While I was aware of these Italian Diana 35 copies previously, I was surprised to learn they are appear virtually identical to the "real thing", save some finger grooves cut in the forend and the recoil pad. Many fittings appear to be straight copies, even down to the Diana pistol style rear sight and serrated sight rail are present. I wonder if M&G lent a hand with tooling or parts as their own 35 came to the end of its life?
    I recall John Walter in The Book stating that the 3 ball trigger was not attempted by the Italians. Nevertheless, if it shoots anything like the real 35 otherwise, it might be a nice wee curio.

Cheap version , not a patch on the real one .
    Keep your cash .

No experience beyond looking at the ads in the mags in the 80s.

I agree with both of you.

An interesting oddity, and I’d like to try one, but the general view is they are not a patch on the real thing.

Though your question is a good one.

Did Brema reverse-engineer not just the 35 but apparently a number of older Dianas like the 25 and 27?

Or did they buy dies and other tooling from M&G?

The Bremas appear to have been first offered on the continent in about 1981 (?), and in the U.K. from 1983.

I wonder if Diana, tooling up for the introduction of the 24/26/34 in early 1984, relied on parts already in the inventory for a couple of years, having sold the tooling specific to the older models three or more years earlier?

Brema 35

I am sure one of the main hobby magazines of that period did a review of the 35. Just can't think which one. Back then I assumed there must be some link between Diana and Brema as there is too much of a resemblance and model name similarity for there not to be. I can't remember what the article said so it may have explained that link in more detail. Alternatively could it have been a very early form of cloning for which the Chinese are now current masters of?
    You have to wonder how many made it to these shores as they don't seem to crop up that often?
    Dave

Im fairly certain there was a 25 and 27 as well. If I had to guess, I'd say there was some Diana involvement with the tooling and parts for the Bremas. The very close facsimile, especially the sight ramp and could another European makers get away with making copies?
    I have no plans to buy one as I'd always go for the real thing first. I find it difficult to buy any air rifle without it having Diana/ Original/ RWS etc stamped on it but if a Brema came up at a sensible price, I'd maybe consider it.

Walter says they made a 23, 25, 27 and 35.

IIRC the U.K. importer quickly dropped them, citing poor quality/QC.

Not the decent trigger and not as well made as the original.
    (No pun intended)
    Had one here a while back and screws were very soft so very likely built to a tight budget.
    Rust never sleeps !

The range was advertised in AGW in late 1983, they made a 23,25,27 and 35. Prices from £24.99 to £49.99. All about £10 to £15 cheaper than the discounted equivalent Original. Retailers were a firm called Precision Arms Co of Paddock Wood, Kent. All advertised with two stage trigger
    A 35 tested in October 83 AGW, awful trigger 8lbs, and only 7.5ftlbs.
    Last edited by coburn; 18-12-2021 at 02:48 PM.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Are Dianas are the 'most copied' line of air-rifles? There was the Milbro factory set up in Scotland with the old pre-war tooling making Milbro Dianas (although they did develop the designs a bit themselves), the 'new' M&G 'Original' Diana factory in West Germany, confusingly also selling the line under the RWS banner, these possibly piratical Italian copies made by Brema, then there are rip-offs in India and finally the jolly old Communists in the PRC making modern copies of some of the line up, like they do.

It's interesting that so many places have copied them when they are relatively unpopular in the UK. I know a few people love them, but apart from the 35 and 50 in the 1960s & 70s, and the 45 briefly in the 80s, they are generally shunned by the UK shooter. It seems high pricing and a few plastic parts deter many people (who I am sure would buy a Glock if they were allowed to!).

The old German ones are much more sophisticated than the equivalent Milbro, BSA and Webley offerings of the time...

Theres was Brema 35 here for sale in Perugia five years ago and was only 80 euros, so they are still regarded as a bit of a clunker even by the Italians who one might have thought would have some sentimental feeling for it. Clearly its no Beretta and doesnt meet their exacting standards for guns ..

https://www.iltiro.com/mercatino/mer...big=1500060587
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 21-12-2021 at 11:22 PM.