Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accuracy Tested Sheridan Blue Streak

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    These were thought of as hunting rifles back in the day?
    If you convert yards to feet in terms of normal hunting ranges, then those 'pointed trash can' pellets would be just fine.

They shoot well with JSB exacts, as said already the original Sheridan 'trash can' shaped slugs weren't accurate. They were heavy and hit hard but the Diabolo showed the true potential.

My .177&.22 Benjamin's have the same valve as the Sheridan C-series and with more pellets to chose from, they still like JSB exact the best. They Particularly like the heavier 18.13 grain Jumbo. The .177 347 and 397 shoot 10.5 gr Crosman Premier quite well but prefer AA fields.

Thumbs up

These were thought of as hunting rifles back in the day?
    Yes, I presume so, They're plenty powerful enough but I think that the pellet pic I posted look very badly made so probably made for poor accuracy!

I have a selection of modern .20 pellets now which I presume would be more accurate

Have to say, I love these old multi pumpers but I find i'm hardly shooting any of my guns these days

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Yes, I presume so, They're plenty powerful enough but I think that the pellet pic I posted look very badly made so probably made for poor accuracy!

I have a selection of modern .20 pellets now which I presume would be more accurate

Have to say, I love these old multi pumpers but I find i'm hardly shooting any of my guns these days

John
    Interesting I think of pumpers as an American phenomenon, even though I’m here in the US I don’t think they compare to good European guns? I rarely shot them as well. Just to much work vs good springers?

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Interesting I think of pumpers as an American phenomenon, even though I’m here in the US I don’t think they compare to good European guns? I rarely shot them as well. Just to much work vs good springers?
    Post WW2 the American firms brought them out as cheaper alternatives to .22 rimfire which was in very short supply. There weren't any good European guns available. Americans would just use them as training rifles before moving on to .22 rimfire and .30/30 etc.

Later on in the 60s and 70s (in the UK at least) these pumpers were seen as exotic and extremely high power ... which they were relative to the average UK .22 springer which did about 9 fpe. So they had a kind of illicit glamour to them as you needed a firearms certificate to own one (which no one got because you might as well get a .22 rimfire if you had to get a certificate).

Then in the late 70s, when limited power pumpers were imported, they were sold on the fact they were effectively recoilless, and therefore more accurate than the springers. At the same time in the USA, folks were discovering European made spring power guns which were firearms quality, rather than the cheap Crosman and Daisy guns they grew up with, and started buying them to fill that 'back-yard sniper niche'.

Objectively, any pump-up made was trounced by the Feinwerkbau Sport from the day it went on to the gun shop shelves in the mid 60s. But it was twice or three times the price of a Benjamin, a Sheridan or a Crosman. Kid with a paper round in the US would rather save for a Ruger 10/22 or a Remington Nylon 66 or something, and make do with the pumper.

People love the exotic! It is still 'cool' in the USA to have a Jaguar car, and in the UK it is still 'cool' to own a Mustang, even though there are better vehicles in each class made domestically ...

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Post WW2 the American firms brought them out as cheaper alternatives to .22 rimfire which was in very short supply. There weren't any good European guns available. Americans would just use them as training rifles before moving on to .22 rimfire and .30/30 etc.

Later on in the 60s and 70s (in the UK at least) these pumpers were seen as exotic and extremely high power ... which they were relative to the average UK .22 springer which did about 9 fpe. So they had a kind of illicit glamour to them as you needed a firearms certificate to own one (which no one got because you might as well get a .22 rimfire if you had to get a certificate).

Then in the late 70s, when limited power pumpers were imported, they were sold on the fact they were effectively recoilless, and therefore more accurate than the springers. At the same time in the USA, folks were discovering European made spring power guns which were firearms quality, rather than the cheap Crosman and Daisy guns they grew up with, and started buying them to fill that 'back-yard sniper niche'.

Objectively, any pump-up made was trounced by the Feinwerkbau Sport from the day it went on to the gun shop shelves in the mid 60s. But it was twice or three times the price of a Benjamin, a Sheridan or a Crosman. Kid with a paper round in the US would rather save for a Ruger 10/22 or a Remington Nylon 66 or something, and make do with the pumper.

People love the exotic! It is still 'cool' in the USA to have a Jaguar car, and in the UK it is still 'cool' to own a Mustang, even though there are better vehicles in each class made domestically ...

Good observations for sure. The grass is always greener….. My first vintage airgun I bought was a old 1930 Crosman pump 101. Since then I experienced my BSA Light and it’s the rifle I shoot. My pumpers are nice history but I’m lazy now and love fine machining! But over here that BSA cost me 5 times that Crosman!

Good observations for sure. The grass is always greener….. My first vintage airgun I bought was a old 1930 Crosman pump 101. Since then I experienced my BSA Light and it’s the rifle I shoot. My pumpers are nice history but I’m lazy now and love fine machining! But over here that BSA cost me 5 times that Crosman!
    A BSA Light is a super piece of work, and the average would have had to save a long time to buy one. But a really special thing to have in the USA, so I'd say worth the money even just as a conversation starter.

Pumpers are overshadowed by PCPs now. I loved my Crosman 766 but wore it out in a couple of summers. The recoilless action was the thing, and the childish pleasure of loading it with a bolt 'like a real gun'. I never bought another one, but at the club I did find a Sharp Innova remarkably easy to shoot and so light! But a plastic breech and barrel shroud? No thanks.

Like you, I preferred fine engineering. I think my Feinwerkbau 300 Junior is my best example of that - I haven't moved on to the pre-WW2 stuff.