Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feinwerkbau 65 Spares & Repair

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I think it was wonky donky, or someone similarly knowledgeable about FWB springers, who said that in all his years of experience, he'd never come across a piston ring that was actually worn enough to need changing.

Sounds about right.

I seem to remember a contemporary advert for the FWB 300 that referred to the metal piston rings similarity to automobile engine technology & after a huge number of cycles there was no measurable wear discovered on disassembly. I can't see why a 65 would be much different.

Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    Sounds about right.

I seem to remember a contemporary advert for the FWB 300 that referred to the metal piston rings similarity to automobile engine technology & after a huge number of cycles there was no measurable wear discovered on disassembly. I can't see why a 65 would be much different.
    https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....als/#post-4883

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Sounds about right.

They do seem to be the same kind of thing as a internal combustion engine type ring ... most car engines will do the 'piston stroke' equivalent of 1000 tins of pellets in two hours of motoring, so most likely the rings on a FWB will be fine. Rings in cars have to deal with extreme temperature fluctuations and contaminants in the oil etc too.

BUT this is an unmaintained and heavily used 65 though, so who knows what horrors lurk within... if just not replacing a plastic buffer can cause a part to snap off - its anyones guess.

Like the bit where it states the equivalent of 100 years.........but then guarantees it for two.

Fiddly things to work on, but dont recall anything in the trigger mechanism flying out across the room when being taken apart. As the Scots say 'caw canny' take your time & study it before taking it to bits, & it should go back pretty straightforwardly.

The reason I mentioned the rings was that I have heard of a piston being removed for cleaning after someone had got oil in the cylinder & so it was under IRANi & the ring broke on reassembly.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Like the bit where it states the equivalent of 100 years.........but then guarantees it for two.

Fiddly things to work on, but dont recall anything in the trigger mechanism flying out across the room when being taken apart. As the Scots say 'caw canny' take your time & study it before taking it to bits, & it should go back pretty straightforwardly.

The reason I mentioned the rings was that I have heard of a piston being removed for cleaning after someone had got oil in the cylinder & so it was under IRANi & the ring broke on reassembly.
    Haha ... to be fair the 2 years includes the spring, which I think is quite unstressed but will eventually wear out.

The rings are very fragile, but I had a couple of two-stroke motorcycles when I was a teenager so I know how to get them off without putting too much lateral strain on them.

Hopefully no unexpected horrors when you delve inside, but as you say who knows. At least these are something you can work on inside in the warmth with good light , nothing quite like car or bike maintenance on a freezing cold damp, bleak day...I remember it well!

I'd be interested to hear how it goes if you are happy to share, cheers

At one time FWB said they were good for several million shots. But the recoil mechanism and bear trap can be fiddly and fragile.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    At one time FWB said they were good for several million shots. But the recoil mechanism and bear trap can be fiddly and fragile.
    Although to be fair I've had a lot of these in the last 15 years or so and never once had a problem.

It's only now, nearly 60 years since these extraordinary air pistols first appeared, that the 'weaknesses' in the design have started to emerge. Trouble is, they have such an amazing reputation, we expect them to perform like models half their age.

You could say the FWB Sport was saddled with similarly unrealistic expectations, instead of being treated as a venerable classic.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

[LEFT]I know these are pretty good recoil free target pistols but out of idle curiosity does anyone still use the recoil lock option on them either as a powder trainer or just for the sheer heck of it?

Ref the piston ring. I agree that in over 40 years of servicing, I've never known a FWB piston ring to wear out to the point it needs changing. I've come across broken ones though; I would think if the ring is intact; it's fine. Certainly the buffers disintegrate and that causes serious problems if not sorted quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Thank you, this is the correct diagnosis.

I've had a dig around the part was £120 GB or $160 when available ... so a weld seems the only way forward... or scrap the pistol and sell for parts.

I have no welding skills but maybe I can acquire some ...
    If it part 1600.143.1 which is the only part I can bring to mind atm, I think you have the price wrong.......£16/18 comes to mind.

City air 121 742 1329 I'm sure has some, it's an item that fails when the pistol has deteriorated seals.

Should you need to contact me it's best to Email as I don't log in very often.

Regards
    Dave
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

Quote Originally Posted by wonky donky View Post
    If it part 1600.143.1 which is the only part I can bring to mind atm, I think you have the price wrong.......£16/18 comes to mind.

City air 121 742 1329 I'm sure has some, it's an item that fails when the pistol has deteriorated seals.

Should you need to contact me it's best to Email as I don't log in very often.

Regards
    Dave
    Hello Dave, Garvin has supplied me with a secondhand part so I am sorted now. According to what I could find on the internet, Feinwerkbau has stopped making the part and the price has gone through the roof. It's a precise stamping, but as you suggest it should not cost a huge amount. Now there are none being made it is really expensive and difficult to get hold of.

I saw your post saying you have got the parts but just wondered if you've repaired your '65 & how it went.

I saw your post saying you have got the parts but just wondered if you've repaired your '65 & how it went.
    It's going into surgery Sunday, as I now understand what the broken part was actually doing!

...hope it goes well