Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Feinwerkbau 65 Spares & Repair

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Although to be fair I've had a lot of these in the last 15 years or so and never once had a problem.

It's only now, nearly 60 years since these extraordinary air pistols first appeared, that the 'weaknesses' in the design have started to emerge. Trouble is, they have such an amazing reputation, we expect them to perform like models half their age.

You could say the FWB Sport was saddled with similarly unrealistic expectations, instead of being treated as a venerable classic.

Largely agreed. When my 1954 Morris Minor blew its fuel pump in 1987, and I had to rebuild the fuel system, I didn’t blame Alec Issigonis. But the FWB Sport (which I love) was in some respects flawed from the start.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    It's going into surgery Sunday, as I now understand what the broken part was actually doing!
    I'm looking forward to seeing this frankenpistol emerge like a phoenix from the ashes
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing this frankenpistol emerge like a phoenix from the ashes
    Likewise here.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 13-02-2022 at 09:23 AM.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    *cough*
    Good deals with these members

Apologies for awakening this thread!

I have a FWB mod 80, outwardly in very good condition, but I don't use it because the cocking lever has become very hard to return after cocking. Is this symptomatic of the issue that you are discussing here, relating to the anti-beartrap, and is it likely to be broken? I was planning to order a seal kit and spring for it, but perhaps I should strip it down for inspection before wasting money - what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by bill57 View Post
    Apologies for awakening this thread!

I have a FWB mod 80, outwardly in very good condition, but I don't use it because the cocking lever has become very hard to return after cocking. Is this symptomatic of the issue that you are discussing here, relating to the anti-beartrap, and is it likely to be broken? I was planning to order a seal kit and spring for it, but perhaps I should strip it down for inspection before wasting money - what do you think?
    When you say 'very hard', do you mean impossible or possible but stiff?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

It's possible but stiff. Sort of stiff to get started, then it goes. Cocking the gun is fine, and it seems to shoot normally.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    It's possible but stiff. Sort of stiff to get started, then it goes. Cocking the gun is fine, and it seems to shoot normally.
    STOP! This was what my pistol was doing before complete failure. You could get stuck with it fully cocked and not able to close the cocking lever at all. You need to strip the gun & fix it.

I know this is an old thread and I’m ashamed to say I’ve only just ordered the small buffer that fits under the transfer port, which was stopping me from doing the rebuild. Been working away from home for years now and it’s taken its toll on doing anything fun.

Thanks Alistair. I might look at this as a Christmas project, and get LOTS of bags and labels before I attempt it. Are their any photos/diagrams on the web of the part that gets broken, the part you're referring to?

Ta,
    Bill

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Thanks Alistair. I might look at this as a Christmas project, and get LOTS of bags and labels before I attempt it. Are their any photos/diagrams on the web of the part that gets broken, the part you're referring to?

Ta,
    Bill
    https://www.waffencenter-gotha.de/sh...P65::8735.html

They’re unobtainium. The bit that breaks is the little tab at the bottom that sticks out. It might be that a genius micro-welder could fit a piece of steel onto the rest of it and then have it ground down..

Many thanks, that is most helpful!

Translation

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thanks also Danny, I shall get it apart and see if the bit is still in one piece. i keep looking at it and thinking there must be a mounting rail in some kind of PC that could be adapted!

Bill.