Thread: Dioptre sight query

Dioptre sight query

Has anyone got, or tried a Walther inside out sight, what are the main benefits over the Walther basic match, I am thinking of buying but the cost is a little off putting but I would buy if the benefits outweigh the basic match sight.

What benefit do you perceive with the Inside Out sight? If you are left handed it would be useful as it is ambidextrous, but other than that it’s difficult to see what else it offers. In fact I find the description contradictory, it is promoted as being “slim and compact”, i.e. you will have a better view of the wind flags outdoors and then they put another knob in the way! No doubt it’s well made, but I’d like to put it on a dial test indicator to see if it lived up to the claims before I spent over £400.00 on it.

Rutty

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Insight-Out

I have one, but only because it came with my KK500! But have never used it on a small bore as I immediately fitted a Centra Spy.

I have used the Insight-Out on one of my 300 metre rifles, basically because I needed a sight, and I had it spare! And its performed perfectly, and it has no issue with recoil.

I am a self confessed Walther-phile, so can be considered biased, but frankly I'm not impressed with the Walther Insight-Out. The pro's, its very accurate, I did dial gauge test mine, (I do all my sights), but then so are all sights in the price range, and most at half the price also. Its compact, but so are most modern sights, and it has duel L & R windage dials.

The cons, are one big one, it has a cast in lens hood, so you can't fit a threaded lens hood, or a Duplex, or fit a separate fixed filter into the lens hood, as I do on all my rifles.

Between my wife and I, we own many sights, Centra Spy's, a Centra 10-50, Gehmann 590's, Anschutz Precise's, and RPA Trakker's and the Walther Match, as well as the Insight-Out.

My Insight-Out came with the rifle, but would I buy one out of choice? No! Its OK, BUT, for the money the Centra Spy, is a league above it, I have two, a small bore, and a full bore 300 mt one. My wife feels the same with the Precise, she thinks they are superb, and has two, a small bore, and one on her full bore 300 mt rifle, if I ever could find a justification to change sights, it would be to the Precise, they are very ingenious, and beautifully made, and very accurate.

We also have the Walther Match on Air rifles, and also had them on small bore, an excellent sight and I can't see the Insight-Out being any advantage in the slightest.

Hope that helps, best of luck,
    Have Fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Thanks Robin that just about puts it to bed then, the reason I was really asking is the Match sight that came with my rifle was missing the mark by 5-6mm to the right on a rest every shot and wouldn't adjust any more, this morning I completely removed the sights and centra rises and rebuilt the lot, I found the risers has the spacer tubes in upside down so, although you couldn't really feel it, there was play between the sight and rifle, I now have done a quick test (one shot @10m) and even without any zeroing it is very nearly bang on, so no I wont be bothering with a new sight now

EDIT to the post above....Right the sight was very nearly bang on, so one click left should do it.

Jesus H Christ......I only moved it 2 clicks and its now completely off the centre by 2" so click back by 2 and its down by an inch, so now I am thinking what the hell is happening.
    I try re zeroing to where it was 2 shots ago and that's impossible, no matter what I do, it shoots in completely different places, so now I am thinking the sight is faulty, off with the sight and set the Centra risers completely left, front and rear, then put the sights reset fully to the left on and put a hole in a box at 10m

All good hole punched and then another with no adjustment and perfect (gun is in a workmate vice) now to set the sight by two clicks left and wow, its a good 1" left so click right by 1 click and its exactly the same, 2 clicks right and its up by 5mm and nearly centre to original shots, so obviously the sight is out, it is a Walther sport match, can they be repaired or should I just go for a replacement, the wife has said she will buy me one for my burpday