Thread: Help to date a Webley Mk3 series 3 .22 please.

Help to date a Webley Mk3 series 3 .22 please.

Greetings all.

My first post in a new forum! I spend most of my time shooting rimfire, pistol caliber and black powder, but like most shooters, grew up 'plinking' in the back garden. In my case with a 1940's Diana that my dad had had since new (and still has).

During the first lock-down, I got a Weirauch HW30 and HW40 rifle and pistol "for the kids" (and to keep up my accuracy), and had great fun. Since that, I have acquired a series 3 Webley mk3 in .22, and a beautiful thing it is. It is surprisingly accurate for a 1950's airgun.

It is on serial number 14062, which I think will put t around mid 50's.

I was wondering if someone with Thrales book can look it up and maybe give me a little more accurate information please.

Is it better to keep these with their original patina, or should I consider a sympathetic restoration? The woodwork is in good condition, but seems a bit dull and there is some rubbing through of the bluing on the barrel, but no rust.

Thanks, and kind regards. Steve.

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum.

If I had to estimate the year of manufacture, I'd say around 1953 from the serial number.

To learn more about the fascinating history of the Mark 3, I strongly recommend you find a copy of Chris Thrale's book as it will answer any questions you may have on this classic air rifle. The book contains unrivalled information on the development and history of the Mark 3 that you will not find elsewhere.

As for restoration, I would clean and oil the rifle but no more. A refinished example is going to appeal to fewer collectors than one that has an honest patina from use. I think refinishing takes away a rifle's history too. Your model is almost 70 years old and a few knocks and dents are expected.

Enjoy it and welcome again.

John M
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Thanks John.

Having never seen another mk3 (yet!) I wasn't sure if the finish was as intended or not. I will leave well alone and enjoy shooting it!

I had looked for a copy of Chris Thrale's book, but it seems to hold good value which is a bit overkill for my needs at this stage. However, once the bug bites and I start buying more and more...!

Thanks again. Steve.