Thread: General 10m rifle questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Graemevw View Post
    I've been standing the other way. I'm right handed. I stand at 90 degree to the center line, then move my right foot back so I'm starting to face away from the target clockwise. Not alot though. Then I rotate my back anti-clockwise so I end up at 90 degrees again. Make sense? I'm sort of coiling my back to take up and free play.
    I can feel that it's a bad thing to do when combined with a backwards lean and a left hip forward! Improves my stability though.
    I also struggle alot with left arm position. To get the rifle high enough I have to hunch my shoulders up a bit too.
    I'm mikes away from being able to hold and sight the gun without having to contort and use muscles.

I have been looking for clubs when I think the nearest is rugeley. I might pop down and visit them.

The reason I think balance might be an issue is because in life in general, I never feel balanced! I always feel slightly giddy.
    I've also noticed my wrists are starting to hurt (trigger hand mainly wierdly)

To be honest, this probably isn't the best sport for me! I've had spinal surgery, I've previously broken both wrists, I suffer with migraines with blind spots, I always feel dizzy and I've previously completely destroyed one of my ear drums.

Rifle fit is an issue. Not that much I can do with my old rifles though. I am tall and thin. I think I need to lower the butt plate alot more than I can. I also think ineed to raise the cheek alot. Then maybe cant the rifle in and use sight risers. I have considered making a new stock for my lgr. Maybe one day.
    I'll hold off, if I get more hooked on this I'll invest in a more suitable gun.

Having said all that, I'm in no way planning to compete. I like these old target rifles and am just trying to shoot them as well as I can. It's just a bit of fun for me and a learning curve.
    End goal is to consistently shoot 9s on a 6 yard target.
    If I can get to that I'll be happy.

Thanks for all the advice, appreciated.
    I'd suggest going to a club and going from there. I think that should yield the most improvement vs trying to work it out yourself.

Your foot position doesn't sound that odd now you've explained it. If you are tall and long limbed then you can have issues with gun fit as they are made for an average of shooter sizes. Short people have issues as well.

Dropping the butt lowers your natural point of aim, will raise the sights up to you. But you can use risers which can be a cheap fix, and getting the cheekpiece to fit so you can align your eye to sights consistently blind will help and pay dividends.

It's all a case of refinement and how much you put into it vs balancing your enjoyment.

What I would say though is that you'll gain scores with flat pellets because 6yd and 10m is inward scoring and flats will cut a wider hole than a dome.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    I'd suggest going to a club and going from there. I think that should yield the most improvement vs trying to work it out yourself.

Your foot position doesn't sound that odd now you've explained it. If you are tall and long limbed then you can have issues with gun fit as they are made for an average of shooter sizes. Short people have issues as well.

Dropping the butt lowers your natural point of aim, will raise the sights up to you. But you can use risers which can be a cheap fix, and getting the cheekpiece to fit so you can align your eye to sights consistently blind will help and pay dividends.

It's all a case of refinement and how much you put into it vs balancing your enjoyment.

What I would say though is that you'll gain scores with flat pellets because 6yd and 10m is inward scoring and flats will cut a wider hole than a dome.

When I said lower the butt, I ment the butt plate, to raise the cheek.
    If I stand comfortably and hold the rifle without hunching etc the sights are at my chin!!

I will look for local clubs. Not that many around though are there!

Thanks for all the advice.
    Old German target rifles and even older BSA's

Quote Originally Posted by Graemevw View Post
    When I said lower the butt, I ment the butt plate, to raise the cheek.
    If I stand comfortably and hold the rifle without hunching etc the sights are at my chin!!

I will look for local clubs. Not that many around though are there!

Thanks for all the advice.
    Yes, lowering the butt plate lowers the natural POI. Sounds counter intuitive but it does follow logic.

Yes, if you lower the butt it will raise the cheek.

Comfort is a good goal for a position.