Thread: Leather query

Leather seal query

Evening all. I have a couple of cadets and a major that need their breach seals replacing.
    I see on Knibbs that they come oversized and require fitting, so seeing as Ive never done one before wondering what tips and tricks you experienced people would recommend/suggest when I get round to it.

Or even any other options at all? I’m not a purist so if there was some other more modern alternative out there that does the job I wouldn’t be averse to using it.

Tia
    Last edited by gizwaz; 19-03-2022 at 07:56 PM.
    All help, advice and wrist slaps gratefully received.
    Most sales open to swaps for older BSA’s, projects and or incomplete/bits. Currently quietly developing a hankering for a nice S10 BBK………..

If the old one is in one piece but too short you can pack it forward and retrim. If new sand it to fit in recess then carefully trim to the angle bit by bit then oil or better still neatsfoot oil. Take your time and don't rush the trimming. You could also try ptfe bar or tube.

Leather query

Quote Originally Posted by gizwaz View Post
    Evening all. I have a couple of cadets and a major that need their breach seals replacing.
    I see on Knibbs that they come oversized and require fitting, so seeing as Ive never done one before wondering what tips and tricks you experienced people would recommend/suggest when I get round to it.

Or even any other options at all? I’m not a purist so if there was some other more modern alternative out there that does the job I wouldn’t be averse to using it.

Tia
    I used an suitable sized o ring stuck in place with hot glue gun with soft compound sticks, takes a few goes to get it just right , the secrets in closing the breech just before it cools , then trim off the surplus with a scalpel. Easy to dig out till you get it right, worked a treat on my old bsf B70

i make custom leather sheaths i use full grain veg tan leather and have plenty of small offcuts of different thickness if you need some im guessing the ones your after replacing would b veg tan leather, only leather that would last and withstand the abuse, its easy to cut and shape with disposable nail file if you need any just let me know if not no worries
    BSA Ultra SE .177 Walnut stock

Quote Originally Posted by walkaboutmick View Post
    i make custom leather sheaths i use full grain veg tan leather and have plenty of small offcuts of different thickness if you need some im guessing the ones your after replacing would b veg tan leather, only leather that would last and withstand the abuse, its easy to cut and shape with disposable nail file if you need any just let me know if not no worries
    Thankyou kindly for the offer. Ive just today picked up some poly tube of the correct dimensions ( believe) in the hope it will do the job. If I con=me unstuck Ill be sure to give you a shout. 😊
    All help, advice and wrist slaps gratefully received.
    Most sales open to swaps for older BSA’s, projects and or incomplete/bits. Currently quietly developing a hankering for a nice S10 BBK………..

Quote Originally Posted by gizwaz View Post
    Thankyou kindly for the offer. Ive just today picked up some poly tube of the correct dimensions ( believe) in the hope it will do the job. If I con=me unstuck Ill be sure to give you a shout. 😊
    no worries
    BSA Ultra SE .177 Walnut stock