Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Sterling HR81 was designed to be a military trainer

Quote Originally Posted by pajj View Post
    In summary then: The HR81 is to air rifles what the SA80 is to military rifles.
    Poor as the HR81 is, that’s doing it a disservice, at least if talking about the original SA80. The HR81 works functionally reliably at the task of launching a projectile out of the front end.

Well, very interesting and nicely engineered but a design anomaly is what I think. The one I shot years ago wasn't anything impressive, but definitely interesting in a different, quirky, sort of way. Yes I suppose the HR81 came out better from the pot than the early incarnations of the SA80 and in that was a better initial design, functionally, but both were "also rans" in comparison with most of the well established and readily available alternatives. Which begs the question: Why?

Quote Originally Posted by pajj View Post
    Well, very interesting and nicely engineered but a design anomaly is what I think. The one I shot years ago wasn't anything impressive, but definitely interesting in a different, quirky, sort of way. Yes I suppose the HR81 came out better from the pot than the early incarnations of the SA80 and in that was a better initial design, functionally, but both were "also rans" in comparison with most of the well established and readily available alternatives. Which begs the question: Why?
    What “Why” makes sense? A military trainer. I tend to believe Roy’s friend who says he had this conversation with him? I’m sure that Roy’s main contact wasn’t the President of Sterling for an “air rifle”? Who knows what Sterling employee’s were Roy’s main contacts on the project? Did Sterling really go into this thinking retail air rifle sales were going to have any material effect on their bottom line? Only the thought of a government contract would make any difference?

I’m sorry but it doesn’t sound at all likely to me.
    Morally flawed

Nor me I'm afraid. I think it was a case of coming up with an interesting but ill-conceived air-rifle design with little market research or idea of what the market required with no more than the hope, belief, or assumption it might sell. Don't buy the trainer contract idea, they work by committee and in triplicate and there would be more evidence. The most "trainer" rifles I've seen were Meteors with a peep sight (sorry, battle sight) screwed on the back of the receiver.

. . I think it was a case of coming up with an interesting but ill-conceived air-rifle design with little market research or idea of what the market required with no more than the hope, belief, or assumption it might sell.
    This, on the other hand, sounds EXACTLY how British industry works.
    Morally flawed

"Who knows what Sterling employee’s were Roy’s main contacts on the project?"

I am willing to stand corrected but wasnt Mr Hutchison a long time employee of Sterling at the time of the HR81?.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    Indeed, the unknown being did they work like British Industry autonomously or were they spurred into the folly by the prospect of a lucrative contract. In the lack of other evidence I am erring towards the former.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post

This does make for a lot of interesting airguns?

The Park Rifle's demise was more about the engineering company that built it got such a whopping big order for their main engineering business that there was no capacity for air rifles. The Park was more of a fun side project anyhow. Sales were OK if a bit sluggish because PCP were the way forward.

BSA's Buccaneer had stopped production before the SA80 Service Rifle was decided on.

The Army was looking for a full bore target rifle for Cadets, circa 1982. I think Parker Hale got that contract. I'm not sure what air rifles they have now. A BSA PCP????

Yes it's a BSA PCP..... there actually quite good, but capable of being double loaded by cadets.... Best I have had is 9 pellets to remove from a barrel, well it was a 10 shot mag!

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    The Park Rifle's demise was more about the engineering company that built it got such a whopping big order for their main engineering business that there was no capacity for air rifles. The Park was more of a fun side project anyhow. Sales were OK if a bit sluggish because PCP were the way forward.

BSA's Buccaneer had stopped production before the SA80 Service Rifle was decided on.

The Army was looking for a full bore target rifle for Cadets, circa 1982. I think Parker Hale got that contract. I'm not sure what air rifles they have now. A BSA PCP????
    The subject of the thread is the Sterling HR91 not the Park rilfe which came later after Sterling was forced into bankruptcy. Other than the one time employee of Sterling, Mr Hutchison, there is no connection between the two.

I was told that there has always been a certain kudos amongst air rifle manufacturers about using their products as "military trainers" although most are not suitable. BSA produced a version of the Spitfire for the cadet forceswhich was replaced with a version of the Scorpion pcp.

The Sterling Years

I did end up buying the book the Sterling Years by James Edmiston who ran the company for 12 years during the time the HR81 was developed. There is actually in the book quite a bit about the different airguns they looked at before deciding on Roy Hutchinson’s design. To me one of the interesting passages is at the begining where he states:

“The idea was to try and bridge the gap between civilian and military guns, and airguns seemed to be one of the most obvious options. Simple guns, operated by compressed air, they could with relatively little effort acquire a military relevance - in training for example”

Their first direction was to a company RFD “who had made certain advances in the use of small-arms for simulating training in the police and military.” This led to the precharged air cartridge that could be used in a normal gun. This was Mike Saxby who approached Sterling to make a air rifle based on these patents. They ended up not going in that direction.

They finally decided on Roy’s rifle. The book doesn’t say anything about Sterling influencing the design but to me Roy had to know where they were coming from and certainly Edmiston given his position wasn’t Roy’s contact to know of its development?

Anyway the whole context of the airgun saga at Sterling and Roy’s comments to a friend certainly lead me to believe that military training was incorporated in its design?

To me the most fascinating part of airgun collecting is “the story” even though parts have to be conjecture.

Last edited by 45flint; 30-03-2022 at 06:24 PM.

The Park input was in relation to Hsing-ee post. Same designer..

My apologies